Friday, July 31, 2015

Coming Soon--Prisoner of Belief by John Van Dixhorn, PhD - What's Happening at Book Readers Heaven...

In 1971, I read a book that started to change my thinking process... In those days, I was reading a lot of self-help/how-to books, many of them Christian-based...

This little book was fun to read and although I don't remember much about the actual content (it's now been updated and republished), I remember that one of the main points was that I could be a Christian without being religious... To me that meant, mostly, the dogma of the Church and to some extent, the Bible...

I became somewhat addicted to buying such books and still have many on my bookshelves! Some I have even read, but felt a need to have them--of course, I now recognize that I love having books surround me and as long as I can pick out something that might be of interest at any given time, that I have not already read, then, I am happy...

But it was not until I became publicly an independent book reviewer--that is, I had reviewed many books before then, but had never shared my availability to accept and read, then write, reviews... The first few books that challenged my belief system were extremely hard to do. But I was committed to my desire to be as objective as I could be in creating my reviews. I remember the first book I reviewed...I was disgusted but had to figure out how to review the book...In fact, the basic theme was that a former Christian had changed his profession to psychologist...the same as Dr. Van Dixhorn. That book, however, did nothing but write about all the negative things that was wrong with Christianity and then declared, more or less, that you should follow his footsteps...  

Not so, with the book I'll be showcasing soon, Prisoner of Belief. Watch for it shortly after 8-1!


The last two days have been spent in dealing with medical issues...feeling much better... All of my long-term medications have been changed! I was floored! Apparently it is possible that medication becomes toxic after some period long-term use. The buildup from the toxicity was slow over a year and I didn't realize what was happening until I was almost unable to lift my feet... Would you believe that the day after, and on a new medication, the heaviness went away!? I'm telling you this because some of you may have similar experiences with medication and this might be something for you to check out with your doctor--or maybe even a new doctor!

It's been a good month with a lot of great books, don't you think?! Hits for the month for both blogs was 18,536 with more visits from South Korea! Cool, right! It's great to have visitors from all over the world, some of who become regulars... I notice that different types of books brings in different and new individuals, hopefully some staying for more than the book they've become interested in...

But back to the review and discussion with Dr. Van Dixhorn. The last similar discussion with Lee Harmon drew over 1000 hits...People are interested in this topic, just as I am! This next one is different since it is in the form of a memoir and shares personally on how he reached the decisions he ultimately made. His book doesn't try to persuade, it merely states the facts from his own life--a fascinating one, I might add... I do welcome and hope you join us as we discuss how an individual becomes a prisoner of belief...you may discover that you, too, may be a prisoner and need to escape...

Special shout-out thanks to the expert who calmed my fears and then helped me understand what an echocardiogram was all about...This poor woman daily has her body abused by helping others gets their bodies in the correct positions in our need for detailed heart information... I am eternally grateful!

More soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment