Sunday, November 15, 2009

Spotlighted Author Aaron Kuykendall Shares in Interview



I'm so pleased to spend time with Aaron today and to share a little about his writing here on Book Reader's Heaven! Aaron will also be at Facebook's Reviewers Roundup Discussion Board this week, talking about "Fatherhood Is Still A Factor!" Watch for Final Details Soon!






Aaron, where are you and your beautiful family from?

I’m from Albany Georgia.

When did you start writing?

I’ve been writing since 1999.

When did you know that you wanted to be a writer?

I didn’t know per se! I simply started writing one day; attempting to mimic the writing styles of my favorite authors. It was more of an "if they can do it—it can’t be that hard" type of experiment which blossomed into a would-be career.

Your first book was planned as a series? What happens next?

My readers are taken back to the ‘ORIGIN’ of existence and to a destiny protagonist Kalista Flaker must embrace to save us all.

Where do your ideas and subjects come from?

Many areas of interests! The most prevalent being my background as a military brat, a horror enthusiast, conspiracy theorist, etc.

Did writing come natural to you or is it something that you had/have to work on?

I feel that I’m a natural when it comes to being a storyteller, but the technical side of writing is a continuing challenge I must admit.

Did you go to school for writing?

Well during my sophomore year in college I took a creative writing course simply for credits. Scores weren’t exactly the best, but I enjoyed the course. And contrary to what my professor may say if tracked down, I did learn something.

That's funny! I think I would track him down now and send him a copy of your book with a bold signature! Did you ever think that your first book would take off like it did?

No I didn’t!

Who were the people or person that inspired you to write?

Stephen King, Rick Hautala, Michael Marshall, Bram Stoker, Mary Shelly, Robert Louis Stevenson, James Patterson, Jack Higgins, S.E. Chase, Nicholas Sparks, my all-time favourite Dean Koontz, etc.
Dean is one of my favorite authors too...sometime we'll have to talk about the evolution of his stories! How many different drafts of a manuscript do you go through before you publish?

Don’t have a number for you, but I have to admit many. And this is due to the tremendous amount of research material I must make my way through in order to give my writing an equal amount of truth and fiction.

What has been your favorite story/subject that you have written about and why?

My favorite I would have to say Conspirator’s Odyssey The Evolution of the Patron Saint due to the subject line and the scary truth backing the most outrageously probable and plausible story I’ve fathomed.

I knew you'd say that because you know I like Writer's Block better! LOL Tell me, what kind of environment do you prefer when you’re writing?

A private study with a mini fridge full of plenty of junk food and superman paraphernalia!

That's funny coming from a professional chef! Junk Food! You always were my kind of man! Superman? You Bet...would love to see you in your "costume"! LOL and Just Kidding! What tips do you have for aspiring writers?

Think of yourself as a storyteller and remind yourself of this every time you can.

Have you always had the desire to write?

Yes!

What is your favorite part and least favorite part about being a writer?

Favorite being expression and least favorite being the rejection.

Where do you see yourself and your writing in 10 years?

I see my writing being technically improved given the lessons of my editors and I see myself as a bestseller!

Great self-confident answer! I wonder if you'll still be writing about conspiracy then! What do you do when you get stuck in writing?

I use the eleven bullet points from the Writer’s First-Aid Card gotten from www.timetowrite.com

How do you become knowledgeable about the topic you want to write about?

I research at one of my favorite places; the public library.

Have you ever wanted to quit? What did you do when that thought struck you?

Yes I’ve wanted to quit at times. When that thought struck me I simply took my own advice and reminded myself that I’m a storyteller.

What are you working on now?

Currently I’m working on the re-write to the first novel in my Writer’s Block horror trilogy to be released under a nom de plum. And of course I’m on the sixth version of the second book in the Conspirator’s Odyssey series ‘ORIGIN’.

What projects do you have for the future?

Conspirator’s Odyssey: Origin & Writer’s Block: The Possession

Does your story/subject change direction after you have begun writing it?

Oh yes! Any true storyteller will admit to that fact.

What do you feel is your biggest accomplishment to date?

Publication and a (though short lived) rather amazing publishing success.

Can we find you anywhere online? Where?
This list is shown as a different blog entry!

How do you feel about social site marketing, is it beneficial to your present marketing?

As you can see from the last question asked, I find social marketing one outstanding avenue for any author.
Have questions? Aaron will appear on Facebook Tuesday or Wednesday...we're finalizing times now! And check out my review of his first book!

No comments:

Post a Comment