Saturday, September 24, 2022

Talking with Cameron Rascoe, Author, Creator, Poet...Servant of God... And his Book, Restless for Retribution - Getting to Know Him!


Wouldn't it be wonderful if we all tried to get together 
and really learn about all those who are...different?


I am sooo excited to welcome Cameron (Cam) Rascoe to Book Readers Heaven!  Cam is a relatively new connection that I've made on Facebook through his group, "Rascoe's Group of Artistic Friends." 

Cam, I'm so happy to welcome you to Book Readers Heaven, to talk in particular about your book Restless for Retribution...

It was only recently that I learned that you were also an author, so I've been checking out all that you offer! I loved this book! So decided to contact you to learn more...

One of the first things I wondered about was your choice of the site for the book--Pine Hills, Florida. Do you have a connection to the location? Or, would you share how you happened to choose Pine Hills for this particular book? 

Spotlight Author!
I appreciate your encouragement and insightful suggestions.  
My interest was peaked and I would like to learn more about what you do. 

Most of the stories in Restless for Retribution were written prior to 2006. The stories are raw, I was just cutting my teeth and attempting to develop my writing techniques. That work, along with a short novel Losing Love While Longing for Lust was my first completed works of literature.

Pine Hills is a community near and dear to my heart. It was my refuge, helping me to temporarily escape the vices and abuse of my less than loving parents. Being a product of an addict and a convict made for a trying existence in my youth. Athletics saved my life. It was always a slow start, I was terrible my first year of playing baseball, football and basketball. Never owning a ball or having a father to play catch with stunted my growth as an athlete. 

By the second year in each sport I was an All Star. When the crowds started to cheer my name, I saw that had value. I no longer saw myself in my parents, I could be different from them... and I would be. Third year, MVP of the football league, starting center fielder for the state baseball team and a freshman elevated to the varsity basketball team after starting the season on the freshman team.

At fourteen I was offered an opportunity to play on a sixteen and under AAU basketball team that was traveling to Central Florida. This was my opportunity to escape my life of strife and start anew in the Sunshine State. We played tournament games all over the city of Orlando, the last being played at Robinswood Middle School in Pine Hills. I knew the school was close to my late Grandmother's home; I'd enjoyed an extended visit there a year earlier. Many tears I shed after practicing all summer with the West Orange High School football team and learning that I couldn't play because I was lacking my school and medical records. My grandmother's evil husband shipped me back to my hell the first opportunity he got. 

Now back, with my school records in my hand, I informed my AAU coaches that I would not be returning up north with the team. They protested, expressed their liability risk and threatened to call my parents. I invited them to call the prison, county jail or a rehab facility if they wanted to but I was not going back.

I worked all summer washing cars on a dealership lot to save the money for my trip. I hid my funds in a coffee can on the roof to prevent it from being smoked up. Heroine and Crack kills! It kills bodies, minds, dreams and especially childhoods of youth like Cam Rascoe--Me! Again, Pine Hills was my refuge, it saved me while helping me to find myself. I would go on to graduate from West Orange High and become the MVP (Most Valuable Player) of the football team.

I still love Pine Hills for what it has offered me, unfortunately our beautiful community has deteriorated to some degree, drugs and crime. Sadly, my beloved Pine Hills is known more as “Crime Hills” these days. It breaks my heart... yet in my youth I did play my part.

Twenty-two years after becoming a resident, I penned another novel titled The Perils of The Peoples of Pine Hills, a fictional tale based on my junior year of high school. Offering encouragement and inspiration over social media provided me with a following and small fan base. Offers to speak poured in from people hosting relationship or religious conferences as well as educators requesting that I come in and speak to their classes. I gladly accepted. 

One teacher in particular struck my heart with her request. She taught at Robinswood Middle School. I met with her to go over the curriculum. Sparks flew, a family was blended and here we are twelve years later, happily married for over a decade. Just think, neither of us would have found the love of our lives if we weren't doing what we were called to do.


Doing What we are Called to do

I met the love of my life… 
doing what I was called to do.

My wife met the love of her life… 
doing what she was called to do.

Helping the children of their community
 is what brought together the two,

because they were obedient and true 
in doing what they were called to do.

A writer and an educator made a beautiful union
doing what they were called to do.

Six children gained new siblings 
to their hearts' delight
because Mommy and Daddy were… 
doing what they were called to do.

Two families fused together 
making one huge family unit only because
two of those most special people
 did what they were called to do.

A family tree was formed, 
new lineage born
 all from faithfulness to the call.


The Lord places a calling on our lives for HIS purpose and we are to comply with his wishes, in doing so you allow your blessings to flow. The love in my life is a great love that I thought I’d never find and it’s true. I never would have received such an awesome blessing if I weren’t… doing what I was called to do.

Well, readers, I hope you are beginning to see what I do and will agree when I tell you that I've asked Cam to consider being an ongoing contributor here at BRH. Cam...Keep thinking... Why don't you have a little talk with Jesus... LOL

In fact, you use many words that I've had to look up and consider how you've selected them. Take for instance, your title, Restless for Reparation... How did you arrive as that for the book title?


I am continually attempting to expand my vocabulary; the English language is a unique and beautiful tool. My most prized possession it an unabridged dictionary, gifted to me by my loving wife. I want to share what I learn in colorful yet educational ways. I don't do it often, only when necessarily beneficial to the story or lesson. No one wants to read a writer basking in his own intellectual glory. Who cares how many “big” words you know, if in the context of your writing, they have no true meaning. The title, “Restless for Retribution” came to me because I have felt the energy in urban communities after a horrible event occurs. Everyone is restless in their own way. People are confused, they are sad and inevitably mad! They don't want redemption; forgiveness is far from their angry hearts. They want revenge, retribution!


Ahhh, Cam, I, too, know that need, especially in the last years where hate has been so incited...yet, the same group refuses to even consider any laws to, for instance, stop the purchase of military-type assault weapons that are killing our children and citizens! What normallyh comes to mind is "Vengeance is mine, Saith the Lord..." but, I grow restless, too, as my years go by. I'm beginning to feel a little more patience since I've been able to get back to doing what I, just as you have, been called to do...and write about all of it... I KNOW God is in control; He is the Truth...and it will ultimately set us all free! But... sure wish it would happen a lot faster... Indeed many are restless...Some however, choose violence...and to me, that is so very scary that our children are being killed in schools, as you know... Let's take a moment to pray about it, can we?

Well, Readers, and Cam, you have now participated in A God Incident...(something that I had not previously meant to say...) Certainly He is listening to our cries and joins us in working toward peace and His Love!

I was interested in how you break down the book...As you indicated before, it sounds like you wrote this book in parts. Normally your books are short stories; however, even though each part could be considered a short story, did you work from the beginning to write a book...or did you write short stories, which then led you to merge as a novel?

When I wrote these stories I was just trying to find completion. Learning how to wrap a great story idea was something I was still learning. I started to bridge the stories and characters together. Geppetto: The Puppeteer Series and Restless for Retribution are certainly connected,but all of the stories are based in Pine Hills. That was the theme, tales of Pine Hills. I am a novelist but we live in a world where people have short attention spans and they certainly don't read for entertainment anymore. Ask a young person to read a paragraph and they see it as a punishment. I decided that I would always write short stories for my young readers who still loved literature. I wanted to give them adventure, a lesson and closure in less than thirty minutes of reading. I know that once I grab their attention, I can hold them through the climax and into the resolution which offers a lesson or spiritual message. Learning to shorten stories, trimming the fat has been valuable in my novel writing as well. I will always write short stories because it is such a rewarding exercise.

Crime is so high in Penn Hills that it is known for its crime, with warnings... Is this a reality, or does it have some basis for its nickname? Have you, or can you identify what the problem is and has there been any major effort to decrease the problem... Maybe even doing things like your book suggests...Musical Events? 

It hurts my heart to see the steady deterioration and decay of the once proud community of Pine Hills. Crime Hills is now the reality. Homeowners of the 1980's and late 90's have been replaced by renters and squatters who don't value the property on which they live or the neighborhood they are residents of. Property is no longer passed down to the next generation of a family, instead it is quickly sold or rented out to transient tenants. Drugs selling, use and abuse has been on the rise since the late 1990's leading to a drastic increase in crime over the past two decades. 


I have been living in a town over in Ocoee for the last dozen years and raised my family there. I don't want any of my six children to be exposed to the vile things I experienced as a youth. My decisions have been rewarded, each of my children are successful and good productive people in their own right. I write about and speak to the children of Pine Hills to offer motivation and inspiration, whether it be public speaking or one-on-one conversations. That event I wrote about is still a dream of mine. I would like it to be an annual event held in Pine Hills' own historic Barnett Park. It would be an annual event of healing and unity. It will come to fruition one day, God willing.


The book centers on music--first, by having a man that you call the Puppeteer, who promoted his ability to get them into a recording contract, and more... We might call him the villain. While Ras Cat Records, and, specifically Ras Cat is the lead character and savior of Pine Hills, even to the extent they called him the mayor, although they had no official position for him to fill. Actually what they were saying was that he was seen as the leader, and, perhaps, even savior... So, obviously, first, I figured you were playing the lead...and does that mean that you, yourself actually are a leader? In the community? In music, maybe? In church, maybe?

Yes, I am the Ras Cat. I was given that name in the early 90's by older men in the community because of the way I moved and things I did at a young age. There are many drawbacks to being born a product of an addict and a convict but there are great advantages as well. You gain independence early in life because you are forced to fend for yourself. Foresight, diligence, perseverance and patience are other attributes a difficult life can offer a young person. Life shapes and molds you into becoming a leader of your peers and sometimes your elders. I was dubbed the Mayor of Pine Hills in my twenties because I became a leader in my community, for good and bad, the youngest in charge. I formed a music group in the early 2000's named after an organization in Pine Hills. I hesitate to call them a gang, but they did some gangster things.

Mostly from one family, Double-O is what they called themselves, tattoos with a sniper's target each of them was branded with. Some of the younger members visited me and asked me to give them a ride to a studio. They were shocked when I got in the booth and spit a rhyme. The three of us stated making tracks and collaborating with other local groups and crews. We recorded a hand full of songs and prepared ourselves for the stage. One member was working on some solo projects and thought himself to be a front man that wasn't in need of a group. He went on his way, we parted amicably.


I talked to the older members of Double-O knowing that some of them possessed musical talent, not just felonies. I reshaped the group and we hit the studio and stage. We were joined by another Philadelphia native who was an extremely talented writer and vocalist. While producing beats, singing hooks and rhyming on stage with the group, I was hosting and throwing talent shows. 


I started managing comics while performing in a few sets myself. My Double-O Crew wasn't very happy about all the time I invested in the shows, but I never allowed anyone to alter my creative vision. 


Double-O started to falter because of members' extracurricular activities, drug use. Some members were influencing others and the party became all consuming. I felt like I was fathering grown men and the responsibility became too great. Booking studio time, producing every song, singing the hooks, writing the group's bio, marketing, promoting, booking travel and hotel stays got to be too much. I couldn't delegate much because I didn't trust anyone to get things done besides our youngest member whom I started the group with. We had a showcase in Atlanta, and we were rejoined by our original band mate for the shows. 


In the back of my mind, I knew it was coming to an end and I made a decision to force my group on stage for an additional set, bad move. The crowd responded but the AR's and promoters were not pleased. The representatives of major record labels in attendance weren't happy either. When we returned to Orlando, I slowly disbanded the group, producing solo songs for those who were serious but no longer holding the hands of grown men with too many felonies and vices.


While doing all of this I started writing. A poem of mine was published in a book “Quicksilver Under the Moon”. The poem was about my faith and deliverance prior to death “Yearning for the Light”. It was just an exercise, I wanted to give something to God, write something good. I was writing erotic stories and partnering with young female writers to write companion pieces to mine. I realized that everything I was using my talents for was serving this world and not the Lord. Writing that poem was a start to me serving God with my talents. I went on to promote, write, host and perform in a variety show featuring many artists I discovered or managed.


Hey, Cam! Interested in sharing your winning poem(s) here? BRH has hosted poetry from a lot of different people already...you're welcome to contribute!


My grandmother fell ill and for three years I was dedicated to her health, care and finances. It was a very difficult yet rewarding time for me. The time spent alone with her was invaluable, lessons, wisdom, family recipes. The responsibility fell on my shoulders because my mother struggled to stay sober and most of our family lived up north. During this time of hardship and reflection I became more spiritual. I looked to God, and he offered me answers. I promised my grandmother that I would become a novelist and serve the Lord with my talents. When she passed and I took care of her final expenses I started my Quest to find my true voice.


Years later now, I understand that all that I did when I was younger prepared me for the valuable work God has for me to do today. I am proud to say that I am a leader at my home church, Quest Church! I attended, then was asked to become a member, later my wife and I became a Deacon and deaconess. I have since been elevated to Elder. Proud member of the Outreach Team, Mission Team, Event Team, I sit in on our Session Meetings and Council Meetings to help decide the direction of the church. I am heavily involved in our Food Distribution Ministry, loading and serving. We had a huge food drive yesterday, what a Blessing it was! Oh, the joy we receive when we give and serve. 


I will be taking to the podium in an hour at church to offer announcements about a celebration we are hosting next week to celebrate all of our first responders, law enforcement, fire fighters and medical professionals. Planning and organizing this event has truly been a joy. Our pastor trusts me to write, direct and usually perform in all of our skits and plays for Black History Month. 


I also play Peter in our Good Friday Presentation of “The Way of The Cross” depicting the crucifixion of Jesus and the events that surrounded it. As well, I am writing and directing our Christmas program and play this holiday season. It is a joy and a Blessing. It is a must that I serve God with what HE has Blessed me with. So grateful am I for the grace and mercy on my life, for the discernment the Lord has given me through my trials and the opportunity to serve HIM and HIS people. Now that I am doing what I am called to do, the Lord will grant me a greater platform.


Today's music industry is more cookie-cutter than ever and it is sad because the type of music they recycle over and over is filled with negative images and destructive behaviors. There is no more diversity and if you choose to offer a constructive message or heartfelt story in your music, you are not marketed or promoted the same. 


This is especially true with Urban Music. The “Conscious Rapper” offering his heart in his music is buried while the artist who follows the trend of negativity is elevated. This has been the case for decades now. When was the last time you heard a Hip Hop song on the radio offering a positive message or something we can grow from? There are many talented female artist that wish to share their life story or struggles but if she isn't talking about her body and all of the lewd things she can do with it, her record won't see the light of day. 


A young man sharing his struggles and solutions to his shared problems is no match for the tidal wave of “artists” encouraging kids to indulge in an immoral lifestyle, wasting every dime they earn (or take) and ingesting any and every substance that might get them high. Dreamville is a label that features many artists creating alternative urban music that feels good, offers lessons and provokes deep thought. Not all of their records are positive, sometimes they sing or rap about some of the same things, but they offer diversity in their music, and it is heartfelt. 


Instead of bombarding young people with the worst messages, why not allow them some variety in their chosen genre of music? Negativity sells and the bottom line is that it is always about the bottom line not the poison we serve to our youth.



Your words reminds me of a burden I have felt for a number of years--about the time that all of these reality shows started! It seems to me that there is no real guidance in promoting all of these programs that offer big bucks to the winner, while leaving out all of the wonderful talent that we had all seen. It has always seemed to me that this has created a false goal that should never really gather so many into thinking they can earn a spot in entertainment for any length of time... How I wish that the prizes would include scholarships to SCHOOLS or some other type of educational support...Being Rich really is not what I would want any child to strive for... Hey, I think you've written about that! Too!

And, in line with that, but also related to various stories in your other books, can you talk, I hope, freely and truthfully about how you feel about justice for Blacks as continuing to be spotlighted for anything and everything that could be called criminal in order to come after them--just because of race...

Things that bring you accolades and praise in youth often cause suffering in your adult life. Sex, a wonder filled joyous activity that you engage in as often and with as many partners preferably at the same time in youth, can be viewed as lewd and obscene acts in late adolescents. A childhood indiscretion is often an adult felony. 

Short and succinct...but I believe when you are talking to those young people you mention--for surely we are all children of the King--that you can tell it like it is...in real words... Like in your books! Intriguing, but getting the point across...


From a reviewing standpoint, I've never been a fan of short stories. It is difficult to provide enough content to entice readers, while not covering the many topics that can be included in each story. I was therefore intrigued that you actually develop a theme under which your stories fit. I've already read A Mocking Tree... Each of the stories were fun to read--once I realized the title of the book... What I did was to include a definition of "mocking" to help explore the range of stories. So I was especially happy to see that in your latest book about irony, that you've added the definition up front to prepare your reader to read based upon your goal... Can you share about how you started "grouping" your stories. Was this your plan right from the beginning to publish topical stories?

Your suggestions and insight are invaluable to me; you always “get it”. 

Defining and setting a consistent theme are important when presenting a group of writings. There has to be a clear topic or purpose for them being published in the same book. With the “Mocking Tree” the focus was suspense, in each of the stories. A definition of mocking or to mock would have been helpful. That is why I offered the definition of irony for “Ironies”. “Restless for Retribution” was a series of Tales of Pine Hills. Writing short stories offers me great challenges when trying to offer a lesson or instructional tale in a limited space. It has helped me develop as a writer, saying more with less words. The goal is always to increase readership and help people to rediscover their love for literature. Everyone loves a great story, unfortunately people usually don't want to read it anymore, they want it spoon fed to them audibly and visually. My greatest joy is when someone tells me that they never read for enjoyment but one of my stories captured their interest and held it to the end of the story. This is why I write short stories of several pages and then others that are no more than a page or two. If I offer them a moving experience in less than twenty minutes of reading, it is highly likely that they will read another story that appeals to them in theme and tone. 


Cam will be visiting one more day, tomorrow, with his thoughts on writing... Do plan on stopping by!

God Bless,

Gabbie



No comments:

Post a Comment