Sunday, July 31, 2016

If You Were Me and Lived in...Colonial America by Carole P. Roman is Not Recommended...

If You Were Me and Lived in...Colonial America (An Introduction to Civilizations Throughout Time Book 4) by [Roman, Carole P.]

I started to read this latest book in a series and was very disappointed. I stopped reading and then skimmed through... The author has chosen to hone in on one religious sect, something which seemed to me totally inappropriate since colonial america included many different types of immigrants and surely were not all representatives of only one sect. It certainly was almost opposite of the way the American West book was presented with all those moving west going together in a wagon train...

If the book was an introduction on early American religions, I'm sure that it would have been fine. But that has not been the theme of those books I've read thus far. Having the characters in "costume" was totally distracting for me and the rules and regulations of that religious sect were much different than those children who were helping colonial America be developed by their parents on their farms, schools and businesses. 

Yes, religious freedom was a main reason for immigrants to come to America. I am not aware, however, that they only came from England and only were Pilgrims...

You decide on this one but I don't recommend it. It is not a representative view of colonial  American as I understood it via history studies...


GABixlerReviews

No comments:

Post a Comment