Thursday, January 28, 2010

Guest Blogger Janet Morris Grimes Writes About Author Mary DeMuth

The Gift of Transparency

By

Janet Morris Grimes

The process of penning a personal story, for the writer, is similar to standing on a stage, donned in only a bikini, lining up for a beauty contest. Exposed and unprotected, the writer unleashes all that she has to offer, timidly waiting to be evaluated, judged and even criticized for doing so. But rather than focusing on the contestant’s physical beauty, smile, shape, walk, talk, etc., the spotlight falls squarely on her deepest emotions, betrayals, suffering, fears and dreams. And instead of a trio of judges, there are thousands; each one as valued as the next.

Such is the case for Author, Mary Demuth, whose personal memoir, Thin Places, hits bookshelves on February 1st.

“Why would you splay out your life in this way?” she was once asked.

“Because I don’t want them to feel alone,” she answered, referring to her readers, who in turn, also serve as the judges in her beauty contest.

Mary’s story is that of a little girl who faced sexual abuse, neglect, drug-using parents, fear, and even the death of a parent. Though she is forced to relive these experiences in order to share her story, the focus of the book is on the hope of God through these trials. As God rescued her from a past that could have easily led to a path of downward spirals, this story focuses on the “thin places” in her life, or places where she could clearly feel the presence of God, long before she recognized the need for Him or knew how to put her feelings into words.

“Jesus says truth sets people free. This is my way of doing that—of telling the stark truth on the page so others can be set free.” Mary explains, readily admitting that by sharing her story, she has been set free from the grips of her past as well.

Everyone has a story to tell; perhaps true healing only comes to those willing to tear down the walls and become truly transparent, even in front of strangers.

And today, as Mary stands on her stage, waiting to see how her story will be received, I suspect she may find herself in another of those “thin places.”

But such is required for those willing to give the gift of transparency.

For additional information on Mary and all of her books, see www.marydemuth.com.

--

Janet Morris Grimes
Any day spent writing is the best day of my life...

 
Have you ever experienced a "God Incident?" I had never read Mary DeMuth until I read A Slow Burn, which I had just posted yesterday. Immediately after I received this: "This is more of a story on author, Mary Demuth rather than a book review." That's what I call a God Incident!

Thanks Janet! You may meet Janet on her web site by clicking the article title!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your beautiful review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only finished two chapters, but I would have to agree. Gutsy, lifechanging, authentic memoir. With each book of hers I read, the more I admire her, and the deeper I fall in love with my Savior.

    I'm glad to see this wonderfully written review.

    ReplyDelete