Thursday, November 10, 2005

The Most Important Book of All!

Be Exalted, O God!

I'm ready, God, so ready,
ready from head to toe,
Ready to sing, ready to raise a tune:
"Wake up, soul!
Wake up, harp! wake up, lute!
Wake up, you sleepyhead sun!"

I'm thanking you, GOD, out loud in the streets,
singing your praises in town and country.
The deeper your love, the higher it goes;
every cloud is a flag to your faithfulness.

Soar high in the skies, O God!
Cover the whole earth with your glory!

Psalm 57:7-11 The Message


One of the things I enjoy about having a computer is what mail it can bring to read each day. For instance, the above reading arrived this morning! Isn't it a beautiful psalm?

Wait, I must share another reading that I had this morning! It was the "first day's reading" of a new Bible just out by Guideposts called The Daily Bible!

You may already have many bibles on your bookshelf, but this is the very first one that is going to work for me! It's in chronological order! And each day's section includes a brief introductory
narrative describing and highlighting the following text. It is the New International Version.

Now for somebody like me, who is a reader, I have always "fought" through the Bible searching...knowing that I'd read a particular passage somewhere else and trying to remember how they fit together. Well, this book solves the problem. By placing it chronologically I will have the opportunity to review (and mentally edit - LOL) the entire story, no matter where it is located in the book. I am excited and
thrilled to have found it...and guess what! I learned about it through an email message!

Admittedly I don't plan to read this "through" like my many other books; however, I wanted to highlight it now and I'll mention it from time to time as I get further into how the chronologically placed material has helped me study! Wow...this is an exciting beginning to an adventure I've never had before!

And speaking of an adventure! Douglas Boren certainly took me on an adventure in his book, Beyond the Horizons which I just finished.  I'll be working on writing my review during the next few days and will highlight its posting soon!

P.S.  Be on the lookout for a new book of stamps that will be used to raise funds for cancer.  The cost will only be an extra $.60.  This is a wonderful opportunity for just a very little contribution to mean so much (they estimate an income of $35M!

1 comment:

  1. The Psalm is truly beautiful; in reality the entire Bible is a book of poetry.  I also enjoy the Book of Proverbs because of the great wisdom it offers. The NIV version of the Holy Bible is my favorite, especially when used along with The Living Bible.  Also, if one wants to receive an overall introduction to the Bible as a continuous story, The Stepping Stone Book is a great resource whether a person is six years of age or one hundred.  I use it all the time as a refresher course.  

    ReplyDelete