Sunday, January 4, 2009

Books - An interesting and Related Article

Have you noticed that if you are writing a review for a book on some bookseller sites (I know that Barnes & Noble now does it), they now ask whether a book is suitable for a book club?

I might admit that, lots of time I might mark it, N/A...just to get past the question!

I tend to agree with the author of a recent article in the New York Times, especially that there are books outside of those recommended by Oprah...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/07/fashion/07clubs.html?_r=3&em

(Don't forget you can also simply click on the title of this article to go to the article!)

~~~

On the other hand, isn't it a good idea to say that a book is "good" for a book club? What that means is that at least a small group is going to go out and buy that book...just so they can all discuss it (if functioning properly, not as highlighted in the article)?

~~~

Bottom line for me? I simply do not know. For sales, it obviously is a good thing. But for me, I never cared for reruns, books included. I rarely reread a book. To go to a club and regurgitate that book, chewing slowly, arguing points of view over it, frankly sends me running to my bookshelf for a new book from those "yet to be read."

Now that doesn't mean I don't remember certain books and may enjoy sharing thoughts one-on-one with someone who cares to have my opinion--indeed that's why I write reviews!

But there are just tooooooooooooooooo many books out there yet to be read. Why would I want to meet with a club, say, once a month, to talk about a book that I probably finished three weeks ago and have, since then, read three other books!

As with the author of the article...I fly solo on reading...

But, if asked, I sure will give you recommendations of books from my clients...for YOUR book club!

God bless us all for being different!

Hope you enjoy the article--it was fun to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment