Tuesday, December 26, 2023

BANDERSNATCH - JESUS!

 


When I thought, as I always do, how to begin sharing my thoughts about Bandersnatch, the song, "Mary, Did you Know?" came to my mind as I considered just how this young woman would have continuously wondered, watched, and tried to find answers to the "Why?" of it all. For, surely, no mother would ever want to have foreseen exactly what would be the life of her first child...

Then I turned to my own days, when about her age, when we would be in Sunday School/Church, where we would be working to memorize The Books of the Bible, or selected scripture verses that would prove to be those we would often pull from our minds as we sought for answers to the many questions and concerns we would have...

Then I remembered that I had once read a book like Bandersnatch--it was a fiction story. While I read it, I did not find it, finally, of interest to me. I want to sink into a story, and slowly learn the story and then build upon each page, moving forward, always, toward the end, the climax, or, perhaps, a joyous ending... I did not want to participate in writing a book...

But, in this case, I soon realized just how great this type of book could be for someone wishing to learn--or test their own memory. Indeed, it also could be used in Sunday School, or in a group of children who are learning about an important life--the life of Jesus. In fact, this book is an excellent way to not only garner interest of today's children, but for those who seem to want a little more than "the usual..." 

In my opinion, the book could be both a learning tool as well as a memory tool... For, each reader, no matter what, will be reading only to the point where a question is answered. The reader can either provide an answer, correctly, or, not, and then find the answer...

Ok, bottom line, I missed just one answer, so I read the book quite quickly. When I thought about the answer, I realized that my mind was set on the present as opposed to the overall story. In this situation, I think you will agree, that is an important consideration... This is the question I answered incorrectly... Watch carefully what happens as you read...


The Wisemen lean in closer and as they do they fall to their knees and worship the baby Jesus. They give the holy family their gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh. But then the Wisemen remembered that Herod, the petty king installed in Judea by the Romans was jealous of baby Jesus and wanted to kill him. So instead of going back to Herod and telling him where they found Jesus, they fled back to their own countries. Later that night, Joseph had a dream that he should also take his family and flee. But where did he go? 

Jerusalem (page 19)  India (page 20) Egypt (page 22) America (page 21)

I missed this selection, the first in the book. But I'm going to select, now, the most unlikely, in my opinion. Then, you can see how the author takes advantage of each possible selection to teach readers more!

As patriotic as it might be to think Jesus and his family hid away in the USA, you realize it wasn’t even officially “discovered” until 1492. Yes, yes there is dispute about that too. There is never an end to debates. Fortunately this is supposed to be a book where you can have a bit of fun while learning stuff. Carry on. Jesus and his family went to Egypt. There, I gave you a free one. Don’t expect any more. LOL Continue (page 22)...

This is a fun book! I enjoyed reading it and, for me, "almost" always knew the answers... So, if you want to test yourself, Fine... This is an interesting story told of Jesus, based upon just the facts! But, I think the book is easily one that could be read for memory or to learn--be sure to emphasize to those who may not know the facts of the Bible regarding Jesus' life--that this book is fun and an easy way to start learning/remembering about the, in my opinion, most important individual in our world... Jesus!

GABixlerReviews 



3 comments:

  1. Where can I get this book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it on Amazon online site in US...probably at most sites..Really fun to read and test yourself...

      Delete
    2. thanks. I'll look for it

      Delete