Saturday, November 19, 2022

Hashtag: Open Memoir: Emotionally Damaged: Living With Job Burnout/PTSD :... Prologue: Thrown Into PTSD by Online Roofing Company

 


I've learned enough to know that when your brain is stressed to the point that you are unable to function, and if that happens from your working environment, then you should consider that you are beginning or already into Job Burnout. It is not my intent to go into any part of the actual physical ramifications to your body--rather to just share what happened to me. One point though, I do want to mention, is that when you move into either clinical depression, which is what I was originally medically classified under, there is a permanent change to the chemical balance of your brain. For me, that imbalance has remained and results in flashback stressful activities from my past. And outward emotional reactions will be either to cry or become angry. If continued, it will become both.

The feelings of frustration, helplessness, aggression become so overwhelming that, sometimes, I am unable to do anything more than just...react! And, sometimes, perhaps, for the object of my emotions, over-react. But I have little or no ability to curb those emotions at the time... I have been Emotionally Damaged by Job Burnout. And Left With PTSD.

I'll be sharing most of this book through the use of what is commonly used in fiction, which I have found, after reading hundreds and thousands of books in my life, to be an effective way for me to create my story. At first, I had thought I would try to give a formal non-fiction format a try, but stewing over it overnight, I just didn't think it would work. Reading a story by Carolyn Arnold, one of my favorite writers, give me the clue that I needed...

Events in my present life, which have thrown me into PTSD, will be presented, thereafter, I will be sharing about the types of work experiences that have filled my life and which, in turn, led to, ultimately, Job Burnout.


Given my life span, I have a fairly broad expanse of music that fills my mind when I'm writing. And I knew the musical that included the representative of my experience with the online company, "Genius." Some of you may remember the story of an old-time snake-oil salesman who came into town, selling this thing or that thing...and swept through telling lies and charm, and a slick story, only to be found later, that the individuals in the town were suckered in by the shyster... Well, that's how I now saw the first contact of this roofing company...

I needed a new roof... Again...

Interestingly, as I look back, I don't recalI that I'd had any real problems with my roof; however, when my sister had to have a roof replaced of the house in which we both grew up, she had received a recommendation from my niece's husband, who lived across the street from my sister... Yeah, a "fly-by-night" type of company, for which I never knew a company name.

Looking back on it, I figure that this company did a good job because it was a different type of roof (higher) and that my niece's husband was probably watching them work...

My sister was happy and quickly recommended them to me, so I, of course, decided that it might as well get done now because I knew my roof was the original one when my cabin was built...

So, the crew came out and looked at my cabin's roof. I spent some time talking about specifics that I would also like done during the project. The leader shook his head, nodding "yes" and went on into that he could do it right away...if... 

I had the money...

My little cabin is about 1400 square feet, with a split level roof, due to vaulted ceilings on one side of the building and a flatter level on the other side. 

I choose not to include the details of that fiasco, except to share that I finally had gone into PTSD, exploded and fired the crew. They had completed the roofing, had done none of what I had asked for, and, we found, had used different shingles, which appeared to be old one. They had also damaged the roof when they replaced the satellite dish for my television. Note that I had told them that I would call the company at the appropriate time to relocate. They "assured" me that they had done hundreds of moving and relocating them into the exact same spot.

As an aside, over the last, say, 25 years, I have lost a very important thing in life... Trust... I'll be talking about it later in more detail. Let me just say that, after that, I had little trust...

After having done attempts to repair what damage was left by the first crew, the satellite finally had come through underneath and I was getting water damage to the wall and ceiling in my bedroom. I knew I had to act.

It was suggested that I look at a tin/metal roof. I had no preference at that time, but since the suggestion came from my niece, who will inherit the cabin, I started looking.

My caretaker brought a slick brochure picked up at the local county fair...It looked good; I contacted them. No response. I called Lowe's; they were efficient in the contact, but only did shingles...

I had put in a general online search for metal roofers. Several contacted me. I scheduled an onsite review with the first. Two other individuals were there for the first meeting. Their primary jobs were for shingle. The company could not deal with metal until at least March because they only had two crews for metal; however, he said he would do an estimate for both types and send to me via email. I never got it.

"Genius" was the next contact. I scheduled a meeting. My caretaker was late but was there during his presentation. Interestingly, I watched as a drone was used over my roof to gather data. The name of the company is more than I'm using; however, I remember thinking of DT* and his words, I alone can do this or that... I should have listened to my first thought for a company who includes genius in their company name... 

As I said earlier, and look back, I think of that old-time slick salesman... 

Zach came and presented an excellent presentation, show and tell… Steve was there for the latter part of the part of it. The on-line show presented his company and what they did and would do for...me, of course...

One of the issues that was discussed was the damaged part—that the satellite had come down through the roof and that the water damage had extended on the roof and down below the roof. I was told that it would be taken down to the base, each part of the roof would be checked and a tarp would be used to catch the old roofing material, plus a metal detector would be used thereafter to ensure that all nails were picked up…There was no indication that the part underneath the roof, damaged by water could not be done.

Then we talked about cost. It could be just about the cost of double of what I had saved, which was $16,000. There was discussion about financing. I was told that the company had a special arrangement with a good/better cost…8% which would come out to about a $308 payment for 3 years. I agreed to finance the remaining cost of the project and was presented with an agreement seeking financial approval. Several places were initialed and one signature... 

I need to stop for clarity to provide MY assumption of what was to happen next... Once I gained approval for funding, then the next step would be the actual planning of the project. 

During the financial discussion, we had talked about the possibility of finding something later that could change the cost beyond that which was estimated...He also rattled off a percentage deduction if I proceeded that day. My caretaker confirmed that he also had the same assumption. He has since pointed out to me things that he expected to be included in the project that were not done... Zach told me that I would be receiving a call from Lauren who would be working to finalize the details such as color, metal as the roofing material...

My background was as part of the leadership of the facilities planning and management of a leading land-grant university. That included ALL planning, including the architectural activity if the project was large enough to require that service, and the cost estimating, prior to actual beginning of the construction project. Only at the point of final approval of the planning specifications would the actual project begin... 

Then he wanted a copy of my deed. At that time, my mind went blank and I looked in the one place I would have it and it wasn’t there. He asked for a copy of my SS#. Again, my mind went blank. I had earlier purchased a condo and had never been asked for this type of information at that time. 

He wanted info on insurance and I explained about trying to finish the back wall before I applied. Telling him State Farm was my insurance; we got online and purchased the insurance based upon a base set of questions…So I now am insured. Which was a good thing.


However, the company would not finance without SS#. This I couldn’t quite understand… I was later told by Jason that they would never ask for the Social Security No. In any event, when I was being pressed for copies of my personal information, I had a chance to think through what I was being asked to provide, so I went to my bank. Within 15 minutes, I had the money in my checking account… 

At that time, I was told that I could have a short term loan and he quoted the exact same dollar figures that Zack had. In other words, it was NO special cost savings…and I could have gone immediately to my own bank for financing. I was lied to, in my opinion…and wondered if they get a kickback for business referrals… Why else immediately talk about funding through a special company?

But what actually happened during that meeting got much worse--in fact, ugly...later...

I was told that Lauren would be contacting me. When she left a message, she referred to my “shingles” and what color I wanted… That was the first mistake. When I got back to Zack to tell him I would be paying cash, I also told him that Lauren had referred to shingles rather than metal...

When I got back to Lauren, she had been corrected, I am sure by Zack. She then proceeded to want to schedule the next day. I said that was for measuring the roof, right? She laughed, oh no, we do that another way. I was told the project would be started on Tuesday! 

Yes, in the funding discussion, I had given a check as part of upfront payment for materials (which I had done before for the first roofer. you know, that guy who at least listened to what I wanted done as part of the project, but never did)... Fool me once, sorry to say, the second time was My Bad!

I got a call from a Walter who told me that they would be here around the break of day, whatever time that might be. So I was up and waiting. I assumed he was the project manager for the roof... Another assumption...I was now certainly the ass in Assume means making an ass out of YOU and Me... The thing is, nothing that they did was ever acknowledged...

Soon in rolled a man from a garbage company. I went out to meet him and asked him if he had been told where it should go for staging the project. His reply, “They don’t tell me nuttin’” I replied, "I know exactly what you mean." The garbage bin was placed on the parking area side of the cabin, in front of the living room. At that point, I was really beginning to be frustrated, upset, because I didn't know what was going on! And, it seemed, that many of the people with whom I was talking to didn't either...especially when the crew showed up!

I waited and waited…Finally, I went in and did an entire blog post for Election Day. That post was published at 9:07 AM, well after daybreak. I heard my phone ring which I had left in the living room. I was still on the computer. A man was leaving as I tried to hurry with mobility issues, and opened the door which had been left slightly opened… He claimed he had knocked, so I immediately wondered why I didn't hear that since I heard the telephone... He came back and said he was Walter, the project manager. That the crew had been called to another project. That he would be back to meet the crew and start them off. Nothing further was explained...of anything, by anybody... 

I have text messages which included, for instance, how payments would be required to be paid...Never got a response...

I told Walter, I could go ahead to vote and get my meds then and referred to seeing him later… He said he had knocked, but the knock should have been as loud as my phone ringing, right? Anyway, he didn’t give me a card, I had to ask him his name and said something about my older sister dating a Walter, so I would remember his name. 

I never saw him again. And, yes, I had later told the company I refused to work with a liar...

When I returned home, there was a truck there. The guy introduced himself as he was heading for the roof  and said he was here to do measurements… (note that I was told there would be nobody doing that)… Also, Walter did not tell me that this would happen, possibly while I was gone…That unnamed man left without any further contact. But I was feeling that my assumption of getting into the details of the project was actually beginning... NOT!

Later Walter called, because I had called Zach asking where he was. He told me he said he would try…and I immediately stopped him and said, no, you told me you would be here to start the team off. He never mentioned that there would be a language barrier. He never mentioned anything about Covid. He just started arguing with me and I argued back, getting angry. Who was he to be arguing with me, the client?!

So a group of guys started coming in. The first one I saw, I called from the door and he came over. I asked him if Walter was here yet. He just looked at me. He had a plate of food in his hands. I looked down, pointed, said eat…Go! He grinned and left and the rest of the crew came with their lunches and ate… First, I had no problem with their being, perhaps, Mexican... I did have a problem with not being able to communicate!

Once again, the company had failed me. I had already scheduled the Direct TV to come in at somewhere around noon, based upon a supposed starting daybreak time. The Direct TV should be congratulated for helping me through this crisis--more on them later... However, because the roof was to be worked on, the representative told me to tell them to be careful not to touch or move it in any way...

At that time I was still awaiting Walter... I had no idea what this group of men were going to do. Were they going to review the roof, specifying what needed to be done? Nevertheless, I knew they were going up on the roof. I pointed once to the NEW SATELITTE. AND SAID "DO NOT TOUCH."  I was speaking to one who seemed to have a little English. After he shook his head nodding up and down. I then pointed to the damaged part. "Be careful, don't fall through." pointing downward. As he was going up the rest of the ladder, he pointed toward the other side, pointing downward to the rest of the men. From that gesture, I assumed he had understood...the last part... Only later finding he didn't understand about the new placement.  

Adding bin and non-speaking crew, I knew my assumption was leaving me once again...an Ass. For shortly, all four of them were ripping the old shingles off! At that point I gave up...construction was underway! The crew was hardworking and friendly. They were not the problem. The white man who failed both me and the crew was the problem!

Again, the men themselves were good workers, I could see their work in action. Speedy…except that they never put down the tarp, and was throwing things from the roof, sometimes hitting the bin, most of the time not. Asbesbos popped into my mind! Would that first layer possibly be a danger to them? Were they told about the possibility when I had explained that we were firmly sure than the first roofers simply laid new shingles down over the earlier roof? There was no way that I could bring that discussion up through sign language!

Steve was watching from across the yard, he saw the hole and the size. He continued to watch and try to point to issues through the day, but admitted he wasn't too successful. When I heard the work was in the damaged area, I decided that I had to go see what was happening.

Since there was nobody dealing with the crew, I got both canes and struggled out of the door, where the ladder to the roof was now partially covering. got around the cabin and had to try to negotiate the ups and downs of the ground to get far enough back to see what was happening. For those who do not already know it from previous posts, I had a complete left hip replacement just months ago! Zack was aware of my mobility problems as he had mentioned that I should take my time... but, apparently, did not think that was an issue that should be shared with others...


One of the guys saw me, I think it was the one that could understand a little. He glanced up, saw me, pointed down… “Plywood BAD.” I yelled "I warned them" and told him to "call supervisor." He must have understood since I saw him get his cell out, and go off toward the other side of the roof.

Steve later reported that he saw the guy return with plywood, so I was somewhat relieved… But I had thought they were almost done with taking the roof off, but now there was a lot of pounding… Steve told me they would be putting on the first layer before they finished so covering would be there for the night. Of course, there was nobody to actually go up and check the job right after the damage was supposedly handled…nor to “accept” the job being adequately done.

I was furious! Not only was there no planning done. I remember that Zach had never even took notes of what Steve and I were detailing to him. This was the most important part of the project to me and it was now totally covered, except for the few additional concerns we wanted addressed while doing a major replacement/repair project. None of those issues were handled. And we certainly were never told by Zach, who apparently was "the planner for the company." ??? I had no idea what to do at this point.

But I was quickly feeling like I once again had been screwed royally...or should I call it for how I felt. I was raped... everything had happened without my approval...

Except that I was later being told that they had my approval!!!!!!!!

The guys started cleaning up, one came to the door and knocked. He was drinking Gatorade or something like that. Stuck out his hands and said water. I was NOT going to let him in. And I COULD NOT CARRY sufficient water to him… I took one of the large containers of hand cleaner I had from during COVID. He realized what it was, started cleaning and I went back and got paper towels…I told him to take the bottle/towels… “Take” and gestured away from the house. That was the first time I began to realize that not one thing was discussed about Covid precautions. For it was obvious that, by merely coming to the door, he was near me, both of us without a mask. Although I have been fully vaccinated to the max, I still wore a mask when leaving my home...

They left for the day about 5. Steve came in and he watched the clock while sitting here and said 5 on the dot…

In the meantime, Walter said that I had hung up on him.

Justin, also a project manager called and introduced himself and asked me to tell what happened. He noted that Walter said I had hung up on him. I told him that, no, I did not just hang up on him…and then told him that he had lied and tried to say that he told me that he would be back if he could make it. I told Justin that I had stopped him and told him what I had said, "No, you told me you would be back to get the crew started" …and he started arguing. So, I said, I cannot deal with you anymore, I am going to hang up…THEN I did.

Justin proved to be a knowledgeable manager and went through my concerns. He showed up the next morning and introduced himself. I smiled and said so you decided to come yourself. He said Yes… At no time did he talk about the scope of his involvement. Nor, in fact, that the project would be in stages and that each stage would be a different crew with a different manager… In fact, I was later to comment to Zach that nobody seemed to have considered me in the equation… and what I wanted the project to include!

During my first conversation with Justin, I explained that I had ttold “somebody” that I would be scheduling the satellite. We agreed that if they didn’t come before project started, they would take the satellite down and set it aside. However, the ONLY day I could get somebody scheduled in without weeks of waiting, was that same day, Tuesday, the 8th.

A man came from Hughes. I explained the issue, that the satellite had come through the roof and had to be removed before repair. I then sought to have the relocation to the hillside… and talked about the higher part of the hillside. He said we can’t do that and explained the issues. I said I was told that a pole could be used. Note: I got the impression that they are hiring extra staff to deal with need. He suggested that the satellite be put on the chimney. I registered surprise, thinking to myself that the bricks didn’t look good… So, after a while, I followed him out and he was testing the site. It was clear that the signal was strong, and probably was a good location. I agreed to placement there. He cautioned quickly that if the roofers didn’t anything to move it, it would mean another call back and charge. When I asked about payment, he looked surprised and said it would be billed…that’s when I wondered about his not being a full-time person, since I had been paying the men before, and even had been told that I would be paying the man and she couldn’t tell how much the pole might cost… I had left the tv on and as soon as it was connected, the tv came back on.

So, since the crew were tearing my roof apart, I was watching television...until it went out... I hurriedly, again, had to grab both canes and went out and yelled. The guy looked up, surprised. I pointed to the satellite, "No TV" He looked around, clearly didn't understand, and turned back to shrug his shoulders. Yeah, I've been doing a lot of that, I thought to myself. I looked and clearly the satellite had been pushed backward from the original position.  Steve went out later and said that not all slots for nails or screws or whatever they used, was filled in. I knew there was going to be trouble. The satellite was not touching the roof, but it was close. It had been pulled out of the connection. Later Steve went out, and saw that they were trying to move it, but it was too late and the men couldn’t understand much of what happened. And, of course, Walter had not come back for me to explain about the satellite relocation! Or to tell me what was going on!

At least twice it was implied that I was prejudiced about the crew. I was NOT nice as I explained it was not the crew themselves it was that I was not able to communicate with anybody!

On Wednesday, Justin showed up along with the next crew. He spent time with me. I asked about the removal phase and referred to my being told that each and every piece of wood base would be checked for durability. He explained t
hat the plywood had been replaced. And as we talked, I verified that the, I believe, layer of freeze control(?) was done. However, afterwards, I realized that nobody had actually confirmed the work of the crew. And unless pictures were taken and submitted to supervisors, there is NO documentation of what the roof looks like  underneath. 

At that time, I had assumed that Justin had merely taken over for the project manager. However, after Justin said that each stage was different and that he had nothing to do with the gutters, I, at that time, had to assume that there was NO ONE PROJECT SUPERVISOR. And that the major first stage had been totally done without project scope,  supervision or inspection... Once again, they made me feel like the Ass I apparently was being made of... I know I kept asking Justin about the first stage and he kept telling me that it was behind us and assured me that everything I was concerned about had been handled...

Except it was done by men who had, during that work, disrupted my TV, for the duration of the project...and also, unknown to me, until I finally took the time to check something on the computer and found that, when Steve checked, the wires had been cut! Surely whoever was working there could follow the lines and see that it was connected to the satellite on the hillside!??!

On the other hand, the second crew was just as efficient; however, a final part had not been delivered as scheduled and they had to wait, for a lengthy time. They stood around talking in front of my window, so I suggested, since there was no supervisor, that they go get something to drink...When they got that last part and installed it, they were gone before I could even get slowly up out of my chair and get to the door.

At that point, also, Tracey started asking for the contract, or the materials/estimate... I told her that I had been given one page copy of what was to be financed.

An email dated November 3rd was received. Here is that email:

Glenda,

Congratulations, you’ve been pre-qualified for credit for your project with Home Genius Exteriors - Pittsburgh. *

Below is a link to your account on the EmpowerPortal where you can:

  • Upload required documents securely
  • Track the progress of your financing application
  • Download an executed version of your Loan Agreement which includes a notice regarding our credit decision
  • Submit bank account information to setup automatic payments

Log into your EmpowerPortal

  • Your account username: Gabixler@aol.com
  • Your password: The password you created during registration. (If this is your first time accessing your account, you will be prompted to create a new password).

Should you have any questions about your financing application, please call Dividend Finance at (844) 572-7218.
If you have questions regarding the installation process, please contact your contractor.

We look forward to working with you!

Sincerely,

The Dividend Team
* As with any financing, final approval is contingent upon our review of your completed application and satisfaction of all underwriting requirements.





By clicking the link and accessing Dividend Finance’s website, you are agreeing to the website Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. If you have any questions or concerns, or if this message was sent in error, please Contact Us.

Questions? Contact us at 844.805.7100 or homeowners@dividendfinance.com
Dividend Finance, One California Street, Suite 1500, San Francisco, CA 94111









An email dated November 3rd was from Dividend related to creating password. As you can see by what was covered in the content, I was working with the financial part and working to secure funds in order to proceed. Later, Zack was informed that I would be paying cash, and later texted him that I now had the money in checking... 

I received no feedback and, at that time, prior to working with Lauren, I was still at the financial stage, ready to begin to finalize the planning and scope of the project...

But somehow, supposedly, I was told that I had signed a contract already...

By now I was asking Tracey to talk with Justin. I could hear her talking and told him that I needed to see what I had supposedly signed... Before I would proceed further.

Tracey got a copy and was sharing pieces of the contract, but Justin also brought a copy and I started to read.

I could not deal with the steady statement that I had signed a contract. He showed me the initials and signatures on the contract. I didn't sign them, I explained. I signed only related to gaining the needed funding for the project... The contract said shingles... The contract said that I had days by which I had a right to dispute what was presented...

I looked closely at the initials, they were not my entire initials and not on the line. I pointed that out, agreeing that I had signed the application for financial assistance, but that it was a couple of initials and one signature. I said that, this was clearly, in my opinion, copy pasted...into the contract...

Justin kept insisting that I would have read the contract as part of Zach's presentation. Can you imagine expecting an older person to read six pages of a contract, with some letters so small that I could barely read them (the clause of ability to pull out was in that smaller, nearly unreadable print size.)

I denied what Justin said...even though I felt he felt he was right...But I knew I was right as well. He then said that it would be illegal for me to not know about the contract and signed it... I agreed with that...

Then he started to discuss the fact that he was responsible for closing the project and receiving the check on the final day...which at that time was his part of the project, the metal roofing. I refused, and wrote to Zack... 

It is unimportant that some discussions occurred between Tracey and Justin, but it was clear that when she had received the copy and started to read it, she immediately had problems with its being signed...

For the record... For West Virginia University. I was responsible for the pre-planning staff's project scope, then it went into the architect's hands, either contract or inhouse... Then the financial management was again in my hands... I KNOW THAT I WOULD NEVER SIGN A CONTRACT THAT HAD ERRORS! The copy that was sent to Tracey and me therefore apparently was a standard format, which had never been updated for my specific project??? or Some of it was updated??? Who knows! What I do know is that I was NOT asked to sit with Zack for the length of time it would take me to read...and discuss...the six page contract which I was now being told that I had signed and that I was legally responsible for!!!!!

As an aside, Tracey handled the calls to get my television and computer repairs done and their staff were exceptional not only in listening to my concerns, but in fulfilling all of my project requirements for both locations. 



By the time I received this financial packet, I had already changed funding arrangements. Indeed upon checking, there was a message that I no longer had access to that email connection. Since I had been offline after the 8th, I constantly was told that they send the client information and then "assume" if they don't hear anything that it is approved!!!!!

I was told that the bin was scheduled for Thursday. . It was not. Guess that guy was right… nobody tells/verified that the actual workers are also scheduled and told their part in the process. The men came for the bin on Saturday in pouring rain and had to put a cover on the bin, although I had mentioned that it should be covered.  At that time, the shingles were sticking up and over the sides and they had to work to relocate in order to put the cover on...

Saturday morning, I looked out and saw what appeared to be a new delivery. I gather though that with the trucks parked all over, I had not earlier seen it. There was a substantial amount of long wood…at least 12 (can verify number) there… There was also metal which I had assumed were the gutters trying to view it from my doorway and hoping I would not have to once again goes outside. Justin was on the phone and said that was impossible. That the gutters were made onsite. 

At some point, I looked out and saw metal roofing lying in the driveway... I was concerned enough, thinking that it would undoubtedly have some sharp edges, to once again go out and with one arm using my cane to help me walk, I picked up each of the sheets and dragged them out of the driveway and away from the garbage bin.

Now seems a good point to insert that, based upon my having to deal with the project because of lack of a stage supervisor, I have been forced backwards in my earlier improvement to just one cane, and had to use my walker in order to have the ability to walk, etc.

Bottom line, I had to go out and get close enough to actually see what the metal was. They were extra covers for the roof peaks… He told me they always overorder to ensure they have the materials. So I immediately said, then this is mine. It is well known, that in paying for that extra amount of materials, that it is "normally" taken away from the project site and then used for other projects, thus increasing the cost to each client and never actually paying for that overage estimate... by the company... unless you claim the overage materials as your own...

Justin at some point talked about his coming back to go over the site for anything left to deal with. At some point to somebody, I tried to make a joke about you city guys might call this scrap, but we country people have uses for a lot of this scrap… Rachel and I talked with the crew onsite and explained her work with furniture…We pulled out sheets of metal, etc., from the garbage…and after I hung up, I told Steve and Rachel we needed to move everything we wanted to keep. All of project materials that were either in the garbage to be tossed or that which would have been taken back by the company, were immediately moved away from the front area.

Later, Justin called to schedule about meeting for a final signoff. My response was disbelief, "We are no where near to signing off on this project. What about the gutters?" It was only then that I truly realized that there was no coordinator for all things for the project. Essentially, I was doing it! He explained that the gutters would be separate…And I got hyper admittedly, saying that we were far from closeout of the project. He calmly said that’s how we do it… And asked for a time to come the next day, Friday. I do not recall that I had told Justin I would see him Friday, although on Friday he said I had. The following is what I did after call with Justin.

I immediately sent off a nastygram to Zack who was the only other person I felt that knew about the entire project… I believe I still have that text. But, anyway, I told Zack I was unwilling to sign off on the roof, that there was apparently no overall supervisor except me and I knew that the gutter men could be on the roof, thus the possibility of even more damage done. At that point, It was at that time I had learned and reported that the wires had been cut by one or the other team, I didn't know which, but guessed the first.

At that point, I was still hoping to surprise my niece Tracey with seeing the new roof for the first time. But I knew that I could not continue dealing with this fiasco. I admitted that I could not make it through the rest of the project. Tracey and Wes came that day. During the time I was talking to them, getting the questions from them and their agreeing that it was indeed totally mismanaged, I was talking about another issue and went into some sort of physical reaction--my upper body was shaking from the stress. Pictures was later taken to verify what Tracey and Wes saw. On Wes’ inspection, he said he could tell that work had been done on the roof but that nothing had been done to correct the damage on the back wall.

Note: I believe this was partly a problem created by Hughes net. The wires to the connection and the satellite were left laying or low hanging across the back of the cabin. Steve has been careful, but with nobody to talk to, I never thought about trying to communicate that another satellite was also NOT to be messed with. My guess is that the first crew did it, but am not sure. 

After my nasty gram, Zack wrote back and said there is an overall manager, and here is his number!

I wrote back and said, so that at the nearly completed project, you expect ME to contact the man who should have contacted me as the first person I talked to.

From my standpoint, there had been a total disregard of keeping the client informed unless I initiated it, and except for one project supervisor who refused to even consider that I had never read or signed the contract. But even he didn’t provide a plan of action, except after the fact, which included that it was only after the fact that I learned that he was NOT the project manager of the total project.

On the day that I met with Zack, while he provided an excellent presentation, including listening attentively to the project issues, such as the damage. However, nothing other than a copy of my agreement was ever given to me. There was NOTHING to show any agreements made. Etc., in other words, I had given the go ahead, handed him a check for $12,000. And nothing more in writing. No plan of action. No confirmation of scope of project.

Since Justin told me that he was only responsible for his team/roofing, although he had earlier briefed me on the first stage of the project, I am positive that there was NO review of the work done in the first stage, after the shingle cover had been removed, which of course, was my major concern because the roof had been leaking and sinking…If I had had something to review for scope of project, I would have made sure that the total damage was included as I wanted!!!

Somewhere along the line, someone told me that the gutters would not go all around the building. My understanding was that, in approving $2000 for that work, which I now understand is not considered part of the project, per se., I had to ask why was I told that the gutters would go completely around the building. I remember the discussion because I referred to the fact that we had not yet installed the gutter in front, but had it available. I was then told that the size was different for metal roofs… And all gutters had to be replaced with a deeper cut. To date, since I have no idea when the gutters will be installed, I have not been able to confirm exactly where gutters will be placed, if they do not go all around the house per Zack. My assumption, which was not confirmed to me was wrong, was that the installers for the gutters would be on the roof working…and therefore closeout of stage 2 could not be done, in my opinion.

Additionally, I have never been provided complete information about how Hughes Net and Direct TV will be paid. If I have to pay them first, I believe that I should be able to make that a deduction of the final payment.

Payments, I have at least once brought up a question as to how billing will be handled, although Zack did cover the potential of change order(s) if they find something that would be a negotiated cost increase.

Re cost. At first, I was going to finance based upon the statement that it would be a lower rate told to me by Zack. The cost info, therefore, on the one page I got listed the amount, I assumed, that would be the financed amount. I have not at any time, been given a list/written statement of the breakdown of the costs, other than the added $2000 for the gutters with the safeguard that I approved.

By that time, I was into significant emotional trauma and could not deal with anything more. I asked help from Tracey and Wes.

In my opinion, no final payment should be requested until and at such time as Hughes Net and Direct TV can be scheduled. The lines to the satellite for Hughes were cut on either of the two days by crews onsite. the day of project beginning (with no supervisor onsite). I had been online immediately prior to actual beginning and KNOW the internet was functioning. The relocation of the TV satellite was scheduled based upon my being told that the crew would be starting at daybreak. The fact that this time was changed and included no supervisor to allow me to discuss the actions of Direct TV, change was made by the company and that the relocation of the TV satellite should have been done after the work, and assuming that a project manager had been there, and ensured that the work was done before that relocation is, in my opinion, the fault of the company. Therefore, not only the first cost, but also the second cost because of an inability to communicate with crew is also the responsibility of Genius… Why either team chose to cut the lines for the computer has no explanation, other than, again, lack of the ability for the building owner to discuss issues, such as this with a supervisor or at least the crew members. It should be noted that Direct TV had indicated that the only day they had available within weeks was on the 8th.

On Thursday, when Justin called asking for a signoff, I had JUST got done, having to pull two large pieces of the roof metal from my driveway. At that time, I also saw new materials and thought it was the gutters. So when Justin called, and he told me that the gutters would not start until I have signed off, I became agitated. I took the phone and cane and walked out what it was and described it to Justin. There was considerable new materials there. The trucks apparently closed the stack off from my vision. Once I knew that they were extras that routinely was purchased to ensure project could be done quickly, I then said that, then this material is mine. He said, if I wanted it, or something like that… Given that we were all aware of this overbuy, I did not intend to have company take it away. We had already talked to the second crew and when we saw materials being thrown out, we started to take it out.

One other thing during that discussion, Justin said that the only thing scheduled for Thursday was the bin removal. It was not removed.

It was Saturday before the bin was picked up. They were upset that they had to use a cover from their truck…and that the materials were hanging over the bin (shingles) so that, in that hard rain we were having, they had to work to tucks shingles in. I explained I had already commented about there not being a bin cover to the company…As everybody should know now, all of the roof metal had already been pulled aside for retention.

The project began on Election Day, I had been following the election carefully, even blogging about it. I lost 5 days of television and feel I should have a cost reduction for that lost time. For the computer, which will hopefully be fixed Wednesday, I will have lost 8 days. I am behind at least 3 or 4 days of book reviews due to the loss of the Internet. It is extremely hard to wait that long before a book review then writers the review immediately after reading it. I will be behind for days given the unexpected loss of the Internet. As mentioned earlier, I had published my latest blog article the morning of the 8th, waiting for the team which were to be here by daybreak. Therefore, the cut of the line was clearly done after that. And, given that I was trying to handle the fact that there was no onsite supervisor for me to review everything, I asked my caretaker to stay until they left. I had to pay him, in essence, to ensure that the damage was discovered, and that they actually got new plywood to replace it. Because of his expertise of what was actually happening, he was able to point and attempt to comment as much as possible. But it was only when I walked outside myself and looked up, that a man pointed…and I yelled up to call supervisor!

There has also been quite a bit of consternation on delivery of materials. I’VE RECEIVED THE COMMENT THAT NOBODY TOLD DRIVERS ABOUT THE PROJECT SITE AND WHAT WAS NEEDED TO GET INTO THE SITE. SURELY(?) a site plan was shared???

Finally, absolutely NO comment was ever covered re Covid… At least two of the Mexican crew came to my door, stood close (I had my mask on). Direct TV on the other hand, texted their policy on Covid along with their confirmation…

Finally, My niece told Justin that I was upset that I have received nothing in writing. He said that they sent email…I have NO idea if that happened, or what was sent…NOTHING is NOTHING when a crew cuts off email!!!

And no job is finished when it's been done badly from the start. On the last part of the job, using a different crew, the problems never stopped. The truck was, again, not informed of the site issues. Major ground damage was done (and left, of course) when the equipment truck tried to get into my driveway. My caretaker was there and could not get out of the driveway, so tried to help in getting the truck backed out. The gutters are cut onsite, I had been told, and the crew proceeded... Nobody approached my door to introduce the crew/supervisor. Indeed the entire process I saw no supervisor and the last contact from the company, came after dark and definitely could not check to see the job was done properly.

It was clear that our initial concern that wood be replaced as needed was not followed...So now I have a nice roof with an old bee-infested board immediately under that roof. Also, a part of the gutter was installed backwards... and, of course, the crew had left without any contact whatsoever. I had expected Jason or somebody there to receive final payment.

Finally, in my opinion, it is quite obviously that any type of client profile was not developed. Zack was aware that I was semi-disabled at this time. It was obvious that it was expected that I would be able to deal with the crew in lieu of an onsite supervisor… How else could the client know what was happening if nobody could speak English… Additionally, every single delivery presented problems for entering onto the site. THIS IS PART OF THE PLANNING PROCESS!!! The last crew did considerable damage to the grounds near the roadway. It was quite obvious as I talked to these people that "nobody tells us nuttin'"

And finally, when I was once again online, I looked for the emails that supposedly had been sent... There were none other than those coming from the financial group dealing with financial approval. 

What I know… after dealing with about 10-15 years of this type of construction people is that they have a mindset that they know everything and just let them be… that when that happens, problems arise. Each project requires a unique planning process that deals with the owner of the property, the issues that individual wanted to have addressed, and an assurance that the job was being done properly. So, I have a question to readers. How would you feel to have a brand new roof, with damaged areas which needed to be addressed not attended to, and a facing board that was left? Plus a part of the last phase not correctly done? 

I have had PTSD flashbacks through the entire week…and find that ALL project staff proved to me that they knew absolutely nothing about communication and project planning (which was my part of the job) prior to construction!

Forgive me for such a lengthy post, but I needed to get a chronology completed, before deciding whether to sue the company and/or report them to the Better Business Bureau. I may have also duplicated some things...know that I appreciate your partricipating again, with me on Book Readers Heaven...

Next, I will be using this project to explore the three issues that I believe are being forgotten, or more likely, ignored, by companies in this chaotic world, where companies proceed to act, once they see the green is available... and easily forget about the old slogan, The Customer is Always Right...

A final note, I am very happy with the exterior vision of my new roof...but at what cost to my own emotional stability... 

What I know is that this is just one more time that it has been proven to me that there is no way to trust anymore... 

Thankfully, I can turn to the one friend I can always know is with me...and wants the best for me...


And let's work together to figure out how to protect ourselves from those who dictate what we want, and lie to us, or trick us... never admitting that mistakes have been made...or trying to blame US for them!

God Bless,

Gabbie


1 comment: