Sunday, July 17, 2022

Guest Blogger, EC Stilson, Author of, Her Latest, Two More Years...





In 2020, doctors gave me two years to live. I sat in the hospital bed, completely stunned after this diagnosis. Two years... I was only 37, and I couldn't imagine dying before turning 40. 

Suddenly, all of my past accomplishments seemed so paltry and insignificant. Who cared that I once ran a newspaper, that I'd managed a medical practice, or that I'd owned successful businesses? Who cared about my bachelor's degree or a stupid wall I'd once had lined with awards and certificates? Faced with death... nothing seemed to matter except the people I loved most. I just wanted them to know how much they meant to me—how much I didn't want to leave them, especially my kids. But this was during the height of COVID concerns, and as such, medical staff wouldn't even allow my children into the facility. So there I sat, contemplating the future.

I stayed in that hospital through surgeries and treatments for over a month. I knew, that single diagnosis—stage 4 melanoma—would spur even more hospitalizations, surgeries, infusion treatments, and radiation therapies that would probably last for the rest of my short life. Despite the seemingly hopelessness of my plight, when I got home from that first hospital stay, I formulated a plan. New things mattered to me: I would live differently, show my family how much I loved them, and pack into two years what some people miss in their entire lifetimes. 

Norma Furniss, an avid reader of the newspaper I once ran, left me a typewriter after she died. I still remember setting my walker next to the Quiet Riter in my home. Why had she given me her typewriter? Back before the melanoma had riddled my spine and brain with tumors, Norma had thought I was "somethin' special." Yet, this gift meant even more after my diagnosis because it became my lifeline. Somehow, almost directed by fate, I began documenting my new way of life (my ups and downs, my successes and failures). I'd always loved writing, but I never fully understood how healing it could be. This all started on Norma's Quiet Riter, a typewriter that's almost 70 years old, and transitioned to social media. 

As of Oct. 30, 2022, it'll be exactly two years since doctors put an expiration date on my life. I'm still fighting cancer, but some shocking things have happened. I've gained 52,000 followers across my social media channels, my cancer memoir got published and became a No. 2 bestseller on Amazon, and I've checked off many goals I had on my list before cancer even reached my radar. 

But, although these things seem wonderful, after everything I've endured, the thing I'm most grateful for is that my family and friends know how much I love them. No matter how long I live, I honestly think my words will stay with my husband and children for as long as they need them. After everything, I'm happy God gave me the last two years--at least--to make these unforgettable memories with my children. There is hope for me. Some of the cancer in my body has died while the root site remains. But like I told someone the other day, my cancer might not be in remission—yet—but at least my crappy attitude sure is.


--Elisa 
EC Stilson, 
author of Two More Years



Two More Years is a memoir by EC Stilson that details her journey as she battles cancer and learns to live again. Elisa was married to Mike and had four kids already when she was diagnosed with stage four melanoma. After many bad diagnoses and wishing for Doctor House to be real, Elisa’s oncologist finally figured out what was wrong with her and gave her two years to live. With cancer now spread to her spine and brain, there wasn’t much hope for her. However, Elisa decided to live the most in the remaining time she had, share happiness with her children, and talk with other terminally ill people. While she had no idea what life had in store for her, Elisa decided she would live the remainder of her days on her terms and not as a hopeless mess.

Two More Years is just a beautiful and emotional memoir. Author EC Stilson lets her words guide the reader through her story. From her diagnosis to the hopeful ending, she lays her heart bare for the world to read and take courage from. I loved how, even when she received her diagnosis, Elisa wasn’t screaming and angry at the world (although she was rightfully shocked). My heart broke when I read that radiation scene, and I hope she and no one ever has to go through it. She decided to battle on and that she would not be a victim. Her determination, courage, and her hope were all very inspirational. Although a seasoned author, Stilson didn’t use any big words or try to sound intellectual. She laid down the facts in the simplest of words so that more and more people can understand what she says and take courage. I hope we all find a "Mike" to be by our side.

Reviewed by Rabia Tanveer
 for Readers' Favorite
5 Stars










Elisa, Thank you so much for sharing about your latest book...and the reason for it... I'm finishing reading the story right now, and will be providing my thoughts on her story next... Right now, I will share that, no matter what you are facing in your life, reading Elisa's story will undoubtedly provide some words that will touch you... At this time in America, I must call it as I "feel" it... It's  a Must Read recommendation... More soon!

God Bless
Glenda

No comments:

Post a Comment