Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Escaping from Reality into the Land of Catmmando Tom with Georgie Shaw...Come on, Let's Continue the Adventure!

 


Two hours later, we were seated at Blue Pacific with a view overlooking the ocean and an open bottle of wine. A jazz quartet played Coltrane, the lighting low and romantic, and there I sat with a homicide detective. What a way to spend my first date in ages! If I hadn’t been exhausted and freaked out, I might have been able at least to get into the film noir ambiance of the whole thing. “Cheers!” I said, holding up my glass. Jack gave it a clink with his. “What are we toasting?” “That this beastly day is over, and I’m not in jail.” “I’ll drink to that!” He took a sip and let out a little sigh of appreciation. “What a terrific wine. I can’t imagine a better way to end a day like this one. It’s a lovely view from where I’m sitting.” I could tell he was talking about more than the ocean. “Thank you. I’m glad you insisted we have dinner, despite the delay back at my office.” Evidence guys had come and picked up my coat and the phone. They had gone through my things, looking for other evidence linking me to the murder. There was no sign anyone had jimmied the lock on the door, so whoever left that phone either had a key or slipped in while it was already open. “Delay or no delay, we have to eat, even in the middle of a big case like this one.” “You may be used to dealing with murder and mayhem. I’m not. Well, mayhem maybe, but not murder. After the first hour or so with those CSI guys, I was ready to call it a night. I’m still not feeling great about the fact that someone at the Cat Factory has made another attempt to get me to take the fall for murder.”

From Book 1, somehow Georgie Shaw always seems to become a "person of interest" in all that is happening! In the first book, Murder at Catmmando Mountain, Max's daughter is murdered! And, with one of Georgie's scarves left at the scene of the crime, it started the blame game discussion. Of course, the first thing that anybody commented on was that Max had put his daughter into the lead position of the Food and Beverage Division, instead of Georgie, soon led to disagreements and a welcome relocation for Georgie into the PR department where she was now working. But who knew what else was going to happen to try to convince everybody that Georgie had finally taken the last step to get rid of her "competition..." But, of course, that first sight of Georgie, by Jack Wheeler, the homicide detective, hadn't been a part of the plan to ensure Georgie's demise...

In the second book,  Love Notes in the Key of Sea, the crisis caused by murder was quickly solved, and led to a much more poignant story when, Georgie begins to have flashbacks about when she was attacked, along with her first love, who had never been seen thereafter. Having Georgie back in her hometown area, but this time with her now constant companion, Jack, brought a new pair of eyes--in order to solve the cold case!

The third book, All Hallows' Eve Heist, Max is on to his next idea of building a new community, New Arcadia! But while that planning begins, it's time for a major event, when everybody will be costumed as their favorite World of Marley character... when shots were heard in the tunnels!  
Max made it very clear he doesn’t want more dead bodies. When the boss speaks, I listen.” 
That Mission Impossible theme song was in my head again, mingling with snatches of Catmmando Tom’s stirring anthem. “Body armor won’t help if they aim for his head,” Jack whispered under his breath...

By the fourth book, A Merry Christmas Wedding Mystery, in less than a year, we find that Georgie and
Jack, both in their later years, suddenly realizing that waiting was just not the best choice for them...and a wedding was soon planned! Which would have run perfectly if Max hadn't got into the picture! And seeing her in a beautiful hooped gown!  Georgie cried NOT! And then it gets really complicated as the new story, "The Lonely Swan Prince," begins rehearsals and, of course, a murder takes place, with Georgie and Jack working to solve the whodunit!

“Do you want to come have lunch with me? You might get to see me and Max go at it.” I did the fisticuffs thing I had done earlier. “I promised my main squeeze not to shake my fists in the man’s face, but I’m going to have to get rough if he doesn’t listen to what you have to say.” 
“That does sound tempting, but lunch is on its way. I’d love to see someone smack Max Marley around. I’m on a strict diet so I can continue to fit into that dress after finally getting Imogene to change it. She might kill me if I ask her to alter it again.” “I doubt that, but there’s no need to test your theory.” Just then I noticed a photo of a large cat. “That looks like Marmalade!”
“Yeah, my favorite cat of all time. Ginger always brings me luck.” “Why were you upset about having them on set?” “I love cats, but I’m allergic. Mara was supposed to tell me when they’d be around so I could take my meds ahead of time. Not even the Production Assistants take me seriously!” “It’s none of my business, but is that why you let the cats out of their cages?” “What? I wouldn’t do that! Cats aren’t good with change or being in strange places. It must be hard enough for the poor things to be in a noisy, unfamiliar setting.” “You are so right about that. It was a week before my new baby girl made herself at home, see?” I pulled my phone from the pocket of the jacket I wore. I showed her several pictures of my little, blue-eyed Siamese, Ella. Jack had given me the sweet little kitten as a gift when he proposed. “Aw, she’s adorable. Who’s that?” She pointed to the big handsome Siamese seated next to Ella in those photos. “Miles, her new best friend,” I replied.


“Ella and Miles, huh? You’re a jazz fan, aren’t you?” “Yes! Ella Fitzgerald and Miles Davis are only two of my favorites.” Her eyes sparkled as we chatted for a few minutes about cats and jazz. I had inadvertently stumbled upon two subjects dear to her heart, apparently. I might have been in that dressing room longer if our conversation hadn’t been interrupted by a phone call. “I’ll let you take that,” I said. “Nice talking to you, Brigit.” To my surprise, she stepped forward and clasped me in a hug, the little topknot on her head tickling my face as I hugged her back. When her phone rang again, she let go. I reached behind me, feeling for the door handle, pausing to catch her eye with a goodbye wave.

On the other hand, Max did give them a wonderful wedding gift...at sea... after they solved the "man overboard" murder...in the final book, Murder at Sea of Passenger X, in this book collection of 1 through 5!  


...Candles sparkled. A choir sang Christmas carols as the guests assembled. I glided down the aisle to my favorite carol—Lo, How a Rose E’er Blooming. In another remarkable tribute to kismet, that Christmas hymn was sung by Brigit. Her voice filled the space in a sweet incantation of love captured by an unknown composer who had penned the melody and lyrics long before any of us existed. I held back tears of joy as I took my place at the altar having counted the miracles in my life along the way... 

After dinner, toasts, and more dancing, I leaned against Jack. He held me tight, making my heart pound as we barely moved on the dance floor. 
“Are you happy, Georgie Shaw?” 
“Happier than I’ve ever been, Jack Wheeler.” 
“I can’t believe I’m going to have you all to myself out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean for ten days. What a romantic adventure to cruise the South Sea Islands on another of Max’s extraordinary creations. You cannot possibly get away from me on a cruise ship.” 
“I don’t plan to go anywhere ever again, my love. We don’t even have to leave our cabin if you don’t want to.” Jack’s grip tightened. 
“Promise?” he whispered in my ear. “Promise. We won’t have much room to wander once we get to Maui, either. It’s a small island. Another ten days of wedded bliss without the call of duty shouting at either of us. It’s almost impossible to believe, isn’t it?” 
“Nothing’s impossible with you in my life.” Jack kissed me, and a cheer went up from the crowd. I thought the hoots and hollers were about that kiss until I heard a familiar bellow. The crowd parted around us. Into that circle walked the red-headed cat wrangler from Max’s studio. He wore a tux, sparkly running shoes, and held two leashes. At the end of each was a Siamese cat. Miles and Ella had joined the party in little wedding outfits of their own. They strained at those leashes, rushing to greet us with more bellows and chatter. The room burst into applause and laughter, as Jack and I scooped up our adorable furry companions. 
“What a wonderful surprise,” I said. “Thank you so much.” I stepped forward and placed a kiss on that young man’s cheek. He blushed deeply, his face turning almost as red as the hair on the top of his head. “Er, uh, it was Mara’s idea. Max thought it was a good one. I’m pretty sure Max has another surprise for you.” “Thanks, Red,” Max said as he stepped into that circle. “Red,” if that was indeed his name, scooted back into the crowd and stood next to Mara. She gave me a small wave. “This will be quick, Georgie. Imogene tells me I sometimes enjoy the sound of my own voice too much.” 
“Sometimes?” the petite Imogene asked. Laughter spread around us. “Now you know why she’s one of my most trusted friends. Her wit is as sharp as those scissors she wields. Georgie and Jack, no one deserves to live happily ever after any more than you two. This gesture is a small one, but you know how much we value cats at the Cat Factory. I want you to take your feline friends with you on your travels. The MMW Fantasy of the Sea has issued tickets for Miles Shaw and Ella Wheeler to accompany you. Bon voyage, Ella and Miles.” Shouts and applause filled the room. Miles boomed, and that drew another burst of applause. 
I pulled Max close and thanked him. Jack was apparently moved by Mad Max’s lovely gesture and wrapped his arms around him. What a beautiful moment in a perfect evening. We heard later that the spirited celebration continued well into the night. Jack and I stole away in a limo that took us to a hotel where we would spend the night before leaving on our honeymoon trip. When we arrived at that hotel, as a couple, with our cats, I felt as though our fairytale had only just begun. Our happily ever after would last a lifetime and beyond...

Of course, until the next...murder! More Coming! 

No comments:

Post a Comment