Thursday, July 21, 2022

A Merry Christmas Anniversary Mystery - Latest from Anna Celeste Burke

 

How about a cozy fire and seasonal music to go with the champagne?" Felix didn't wait for us to answer. One of Jack's favorite jazz singers began to sing a sweet, dreamy version of White Christmas. A fire was crackling by the time we reached the fireplace. "It's been good talking to you, Felix. Thanks for all your help, but I'll take it from here. Goodnight."

           “Can we help it if we’ve turned out to be a good team in love and murder, my sweet?


We'd just finished breakfast on our third morning in the lavish hotel when the shaking began. Max had kept his word not to intrude, although it was beginning to worry me that he hadn't called to arrange our dinner date. We'd had two gloriously peaceful days exploring Max's strange new world taking shape in New Arcadia. I should have known that wouldn't last. 

"Don't worry," Jack said as he picked up Miles and followed me under the table. "Max claims his architects and engineers designed this hotel to withstand the biggest quake Mother Nature can unleash." As the room continued to shimmy and shake, Jack appeared less confident. I was fighting the urge to bolt, but where would I go? "If this isn't 'the big one,' I don't want to be around for it," I grumbled. Rattling sounds came from all around us, and the entire hotel swayed—or rolled was more like it. "Are you sure this place isn't going to sink like the Titanic? We might as well be in a storm at sea." "It's supposed to roll, Georgie. The entire building has flexible joints that can slide with the quake's motion." "What's the rattling noise?" I asked as I heard a soft plop. My laptop settled onto the carpet nearby after sliding off the table above us. "Probably the blinds and windows. The items in drawers and cupboards, too, although magnetic locks are activated once the motion reaches a certain level. We'd hear more than rattling if the cupboards and drawers were flapping, and stuff was spilling all over the floor. These quakes don't last more than a minute or two. It'll be over soon." 

As Jack spoke, the motion lessened and then stopped. The cats, who usually demand an explanation for unusual human behavior like sitting on the floor under a table, hadn't squirmed or made a sound. No purring from them either, though. "Whew!" I said, scooting toward the edge of the solidly built, exotic-wood table that could seat eight for dinner, more if you added another leaf. That didn't matter since Jack and I weren't planning to have any dinner parties. I was grateful for the table's hefty size, though, if it didn't collapse and flatten me like a pancake. I wanted to check to see if my laptop had survived. "What's that sound?" Jack asked, putting a hand on my arm to keep me from going anywhere. A low rumble grew louder as if it were moving closer. "

Aftershock?" I asked. My answer was a blast that shifted the entire hotel building in one direction all at once. The windows didn't rattle but made an oomph sound—like a person who's had the wind knocked out of them. The building righted itself as the motion and noise stopped. "That was no quake," Jack declared.

The ninth, and last in the series, so far, was more dramatic and tense for readers as explosions occur and fear and action consumes all that a call for evacuation is made. But, of course, as a part of senior administration, Georgie will be staying, even though she and Jack are already vacationing, celebrating their first anniversary... And, of course, a body is soon found, so Jack, as a homicide detective, even if they are visiting "New Arcadia," is called upon to begin the investigation. I'm Loving This Series!

Our suite was virtually soundproof, but I heard the faint whine of sirens and horns blasting. I opened the French doors that led to our expansive balcony. We had fantastic views of the mountains on both sides of the resort and the city of New Arcadia. A golf course beckoned to us from in front of the hotel. Below us, and behind the hotel, a private recreation area offered guests swimming pools, tennis courts, a spa, and a path wandering between the biodomes. In front of the hotel, I could also glimpse the green spaces, homes, shops, and other buildings in one of New Arcadia's first neighborhoods. Max hoped to welcome the first residents to their homes in "Tomorrow's City, Today!" early in the new year. Farther out, where no development appeared to be underway, plumes of smoke rose into the sky. 

"I see smoke, Carol, but it's in the distance." I stepped closer to the far end of the veranda to get a better view. Strains of Blue Christmas reached me first, followed by horn blasts and screeching sirens. They were louder but not constant, even though I could see police and fire department vehicles racing toward the smoke. Ambulances and rescue squad vehicles were in the mix too. Why aren't they using the underground roadways? I wondered. People milled around on the patios and pool areas below as if in a daze. Dressed in Marvelous Marley World outfits, it was clear some were employees. Others who must have been guests huddled together speaking to each other or staff members. Several were on their cellphones like me. I moved back toward the French doors, suddenly worried that I'd left them open. So far, Miles and Ella hadn't shown much interest in getting out onto the veranda. Still, I wasn't taking any chances, given my distracted state of mind...


By now, most of the ongoing characters are known, but we do have a new family introduced, Frank and Jessica Huntington (the author has an entire series featuring Jessica). The family includes Anastasia, who caused a few minutes consternation on the part of Miles and Ella--and then they bounded off in a "welcome" race to new adventures! As time goes by, and Max is still missing, all of the employees begin to discuss what would happen if he was...not coming back. Of course, there was a succession plan for the leader but, as could be imagined as the chaos encircled their lives, those who had a vested interest in the potential new leader of Marley World, including Georgie, were the main thrust of the book... And, we know, don't we? That when there was a chance to increase power by individuals, it often leads to deception and criminal actions. Georgie was soon in the position of wondering just who she could trust...and just how far she could go in attempting to handle things on her own, without becoming a target herself?!

“Time to gang up on him and try a little tough love,” Sid added, wearily.  “Yes, something like that. I appreciate your willingness to share your concerns with me. I’ll ask Rita to send those documents by email, so we’ll get them right away,” I said. We both stood up, slowly, as if weighed down by the difficulty of the demands on us. Just then, the holiday music started. Sid and I both startled as Michael BublĂ© belted out the lyrics to It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas.  “We’re not too edgy, are we?  

I still have a couple of Burke's series books that I haven't talked about...and will do so from time to time... In the meantime, I'm reading one of Kenneth Eade's legal thrillers... He's been on a hiatus from writing, but I've still found enough of his books to keep me happy! He's my favorite writer for this genre, and I've found that he's normally writing about something that is relevant to today's headlines... This time, about a Cop-Black Man Shooting Incident ...So watch for it coming soon! You can be sure that this writer makes sure that defendants get the best legal attention that is possible!


Glenda
God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment