Thursday, December 30, 2010

Review: Book Teaches Children to Pray and Praise...

Young girl prays before eating school lunch of...Image Wikipedia
100 Prayers

God Loves to Hear

100 Praise Songs





By Stephen Elkins

For me, one of the most joyful things from my childhood was learning new choruses to sing. Was it that way for you? There were Sunday School performances, Bible School, and even Church had choruses to learn and sing. And many children are called upon to learn to say the prayer before a meal, or again at the various church activities in which they participate.

100 Prayers God Loves to Hear, 100 Praise SongsBut some children don't have that opportunity as much these days! That's why I chose to share about the children's book, 100 Prayers God Loves to Hear: 100 Praise Songs. Besides the book, there are two CD's as well! Hearing the music makes it so much easier to learn the songs, don't you think?

The very first thing I did was to check out the song titles--there are both old and new ones! And the old ones have been arranged by the author. So here's how the book is set up:

Here's an example using a Christmas Carol we would have heard recently:

The title of the two-page set up is "What Can I Give Him?" First there is an opening about the topic. Then there is the suggested prayer which in this case is taken from the song, "The Little Drummer Boy."

What can I give Him,
Poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd,
I would bring a lamb.


If I were a wise man,
I would do my part.
Yet what can I give Him?
Give my heart.


More narrative continues the story, along with a beautiful picture of children, angels, or Biblical characters that supports the prayer. Then each of the two-page spread concludes with "My Little Prayer Reminder" such as:

We must move from asking God to take care of the things that are breaking our hearts, to praying about the things that are breaking His heart.--Margaret Gibb 

Finally, in the top upper corner, the child is told which song is part of that day's praise activity.

The song "With All My Heart (I Will Praise You)" on CD1 is recommended! (pps. 14-15)

How Cool Is That?! And there are 100 of these two-page sets so that the child can read just two pages for the day and have a complete prayer, short lesson and a song. I think this book should be given to every child under age 10...or 110! Well, aren't we all children of God?!

The book itself is padded covered for added protection as well as beauty with a picture of Jonah and the whale on the front. It includes children from multiple races and countries who learn about God and Jesus as their Savior. The stories follow both the old and new testaments and are told in contemporary language that is easy to understand and apply to the child.

What an excellent way to teach children how to pray and praise! Here's one of my favorite prayers:

Lord, many wonders
Your hands have made;
The sun to shine brightly,
Trees to give shade.
But the wonder of wonders
Made like no other
Is jelly spread thick
On good peanut butter!

What better way to start the new year than saying the following included prayer together with your children:

Another year is dawning
Dear Father, let it be
In working or in waiting
Another year with Thee.

Another year of progress,
Another year of praise
Another year of proving
Thy presence all the days

And to help your children learn the new song, "Another Year is Dawning." Parents, help your children start the new year with 100 Prayers and 100 Praise Songs! God's Waiting to hear us pray and sing to Him! Let's Do It All Over The World! Surely you know this is a "Must-Read" in my opinion!

Book Received Via
Amazon Vine Program

G. A. Bixler







Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment