Monday, September 2, 2024

Old Girls Behaving Badly: Two Strangers. One Wedding. The Adventure of a Lifetime! by Kate Galley - My Guess? If You're over 50 You'll Loves Galley's Books...

 


Douglas had said on more than one occasion that he just didn’t really get it, as if there was a special something he had to understand more tricky than two people simply loving one another.


‘My goodness, how very disappointing of him,’ Dorothy said. ‘I’m generalising here, I do realise, but women tend to find themselves through friendships and activity, through reading and learning. I think men tend to need some sort of justification for existing through sex.’ There was a beat of silence while we digested those words before Dorothy added her caveat: ‘Not all men, of course.’


‘Dorothy, my friend, you are so insightful and offer up such an impassioned speech with a great argument for independence without shackles and yet, somehow I’m feeling myself even more compelled than ever to do your bidding and find this painting for you. Bravo.’ 
‘I meant every word, you know. I think we can help each other,’ she said. I was about to ask her how she planned to help me, but some of the others’ voices were within earshot again, so I took her hand, gave it a squeeze, and tried not to think about the task before me that was far greater than getting us out of this maze. I then pulled my phone from my pocket and opened my maps app, zoomed in on our location and, watching the flashing blue dot move, I pulled Dorothy gently to the left. ‘Here,’ I said. ‘We don’t need Leonard’s terrible clues to reach the middle; we have technology!’ 
The middle of the maze was surprisingly large, and the entire group were already there, proving that Leonard’s clues were hardly tricky at all. His staff had managed to navigate the labyrinth of hedging and deliver a table laden with food and drinks. There were more plastic rose trees and I remembered the game of croquet earlier. Leonard liked a theme; that was for sure. A huge glass bowl of something that looked like punch sat on one end of the table with a sign next to it – Drink me! 
Platters of meat and cheese, bread, cakes and fruit covered the rest with the obligatory sign – Eat me!
Juliet was crowing over the fact that she had worked out all the clues and wanted to know what her prize was because it couldn’t possibly just be dinner. Leonard smiled, indulgently, and handed her a twenty-pound note from his wallet. She looked surprised at his change in attitude, but then pocketed the money. This was going to be a meal that I couldn’t get out of, I realised as everyone took their seats. Some jazz music began to fill the air around us from hidden speakers and mingled with the sounds of people piling food onto their plates and glasses being filled. 
If it hadn’t been for what Dorothy had planned for me, this all might be a lovely thing to do on a warm summer evening, but instead my mind was twitchy and preoccupied. I opened my photos on my phone and began to scroll through the pictures I’d taken earlier while Leonard was safely at the other end of the table. There was so much of the house I had yet to see and probably many places that would be completely out of bounds to me. He could have it hanging up in the attic rooms or hidden in a shed or storeroom somewhere; he may have even destroyed it. I glanced across at Dorothy who was sitting opposite me on the other side of the table. She had helped herself to some food and was nibbling on a chunk of cheese with slices of apple. She looked like she didn’t want to be there much either and I wondered what would happen if I didn’t find the painting. Dorothy had already said she wouldn’t be able to let it go and move on. She would be consumed with anger when she should really be grieving the death of her husband, but then, wasn’t anger one of the many stages? 
When my beloved mother Ellen died, I had eventually been angry. Firstly, though, I’d wandered aimlessly through my days in a haze as dark as the smoke that had filled our house on that terrible night. There was a numbness to my existence with the occasional awakening to grief and guilt. Ellen was a gentle woman, kind and funny, smart and serious when seriousness was needed. She was appreciated for her work, loved by many, admired by more than just my father and, ultimately, fallible. It had been eighteen months after her death that I met Douglas. The year was 1980 and I was twenty-eight. My friends had dragged me out in some odd celebration after the successful court case, but I couldn’t feel any sort of victory over the man who had started the fire. How could I possibly? Douglas had been drinking with a few of his own friends and as the pub filled and we had to start sharing tables, I found myself talking to him. To this day I can’t remember what was said – I don’t recall much about that time at all – but I must have thought him nice and friendly, because I married him and had his children. I wouldn’t have guessed that a man who would see me through that terrible time with care and compassion would be able to discard me so easily over forty years later. 
I felt a determination settle over me. I would find the painting or certainly find out if Leonard was responsible; then Dorothy could move on with her life.
~~~

With a solid mystery, this story is catchy, fun, and somewhat of a page-turner. While at the same time, it is completely character-driven, even though readers may not get to know much about the entire cast. The three or four that are upfront and center necessarily drive the book forward... 


First we have the two female main characters. They are truly characters for whom you will quickly develop a caring concern for both of them. We first meet Gina who was jilted with a short letter when she and her husband were both in their seventies. Needless to say she was shocked, but soon began to deal with the fact that if she were going to be alone, she needed to work to survive. Reading the want ads, she noticed that there were many who were looking for carers or companions. Gina had been caring for three for many years, so applied for one that was listed for only one week with a possible longer time period. She was to be a companion of a woman in her late 80s who would be needing help to attend a week-long guest vacation which would end with one of her relatives getting married.


Dorothy knew nothing about that ad and was quite adamant that she didn't need a companion! However, after scaring the first applicant who quickly left, she was resigned to continuing and was somewhat kinder to Gina since she was an older woman. And, when she learned of her background, she immediately started asking for details... And she was hired...

It was only as they met and talked more, that Gina was to learn exactly what her job would be... And then learned even more that caused her concern, when the driver was quite open about the owner of the place:

‘He’s rich and arrogant according to my wife’s sister, Violet, who cleaned there for a short time a few years back. I’ll bet no more arrogant than any other rich man, though. The house is something else, very grand, but Vi said she wasn’t sorry to lose her job, as she was always terrified of breaking one of his precious art pieces. I’ve never been in there myself. ‘He’s done a little for the village: new planting for the green, a project with a local children’s charity for a fun run around his estate, that sort of stuff. He’s not married and hasn’t got any kids of his own, though. There’s not many that know him well.’ He sounded eccentric, like a nice, kindly old man, but then as uncle to the bride, he couldn’t be that old, I thought. I relaxed a bit then. A week at a country estate in Norfolk for the wedding of Dorothy’s grandson didn’t seem like much of a challenge. A house full of art – I won’t pretend that didn’t interest me. Dorothy Reed herself, who seemed like a person I could get along with. Of course I was to be paid for my services too, which was a huge motivator in this set-up. I settled back in my seat and tried to tell myself not to expect too much, but the truth was, with my life in a state of limbo, I was actually expecting quite a lot.
~~~


Arriving at the country mansion, Gina was at once overwhelmed with the house... But, with her past background, she began to be confused. There was no theme to how very extravagant pieces of art were displayed, often with others of much lesser value. As she was led to her room, she noticed a small vase on a windowsill that sat in the corner, rather than, as she thought it should, centering it for display. She even relocated it, but soon saw it back where it had once been... She began to wonder just who the owner of this home was...

And Dorothy's discussion on what she wanted was no real help... You see, she believed that the owner of the house had sent somebody to steal a painting from her home. They had been scheduled to be out of town but had a late change. Dorothy and her husband was in bed when they heard the thief. Her husband ran downstairs and after the intruder and fell that night and died. Dorothy explained how and why she knew who had been behind the theft. She wanted Gina to find that stolen painting, so that he could be indicted for murder!

Instead, what started to happen, during a planned week-long event where the owner, who was uncle of the bride, essentially took charge of everything, serving lavish meals, for which he had a theme, a costume, even if nobody else did, and a way to make him the center of attraction rather than the bride/groom couple. Even at the planned breakfast, he had insisted he be at the head table contrary to the parents' wishes... The bride had agreed...


During all these events, Gina was excusing herself and spent time within the home to try to find the stole picture. The owner was suspicious of her but he had little ability to actually stop her... And she learned that several of the local staff were willing to respond truthfully to specific questions even to the point of condemning their own actions that had taken place and afterward used to blackmail their willing subservience...


Until the wedding was actually underway! And the painting had not been found... Dorothy was beginning to feel as if all of this was a waste of time and she was extremely feeling guilty for putting Gina through what she had asked. She sat thinking that her paycheck must reflect all that she had been forced to do, even in the end willing to help Dorothy. But the wedding was so very beautiful and the after period was a success. Dorothy brightened when the bride, Caroline, came to her and held her tightly thanking her for being there with her and her loved ones...

I enjoyed every single minute of it. Especially when a young teenager who was bored being there among all the family, with little to do. But readers discover that she has been creating her own entertainment... And she had recordings... Because after the bride and groom had left, it was discovered that the owner had disappeared...

Do check this journey to A country estate over in England, where we find a little village with workers and a small church where the wedding is to be held... But be careful, the first event in finding your way to lunch is through a maze... Enjoy!

GABixlerReviews


No comments:

Post a Comment