Thursday, October 29, 2015

Deadly Impulse - The Latest from the Detective Madison Knight Series is Out Today!

"Okay, so, the time of death would be
between six last night and midnight."
"That's quite the time span, but she
was likely placed in the wheelchair
within a couple hours of death...for
her neck to settle forward," Madison said.
~~~
You didn’t actually think it would be as easy as providing them a chair number and getting an ID, did you?”
 “I had hoped.” 
Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay. My, oh my…” A man in a white hospital gown was skipping down the hall, a few orderlies chasing after him. 
“It seems they found their missing psych patient.” Apparently, Terry had understood the code, as well. Madison rolled her eyes at his obvious statement. 
“Nothing escapes your grasp, does it?” She headed toward the elevator, hiding her smirk.
~~~








Deadly Impulse:
Detective Madison Knight Series

By Carolyn Arnold


Excuse me readers for starting the review of a mystery, suspense series with a totally irrelevant song, except to the one very minor character who happened to be singing it as he ran down the hospital hall happily singing, “Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay. My, oh my…” This is my absolutely number 1 children's song that I loved so as I was growing up--it was nice to see someone else still remembered it... And I hope the man singing was just as happily lovable as the beautiful Black man singing it in the original Disney movie...

Arnold takes care to have details surrounding her stories to completely take readers into the setting, content to be lost in the world she has created. For me, if I were not reviewing books, she would be one of my favorite authors who I would routinely follow, reading each of her works to keep up with those characters who've become important to each of her series. Because of the strong, intelligent, gutsy Madison Knight, this series is my favorite...

One main reason for me is that she routinely creates a mystery that totally keeps me interested, but which I am unable to get a good handle on who is the guilty killer! Everybody knows I especially love mysteries I can't solve, right? So if you're like me, I highly recommend you check out Arnold's books!

"On the count of three, pull the trigger."
The quick flashback made goose bumps
raise the hairs on her arms. As she
pulled herself back to the present, she
aligned eyes with Terry.
"Let's get this over with," she said, and
she and Terry entered the
sergeant's office.
~~~
I enjoy a cover that immediately attracts my attention as this one did-- the colors are eye- catching and the scene represents an important part of the story, which I appreciate as well...

So opening the book was a pleasure, but the story immediately grabbed me and didn't let go...For there she was...an old woman sitting in a wheelchair, on the side of a road--no one around or near her... and, yes, she was dead.

But why was she there, obviously placed there for some reason... Then they found a sign on the back of the chair, Put an End to Abortion" and, fortunately an ID tag on the wheelchair from a nearby hospital.

There begins the meticulous step-by-step police investigation that Carolyn Arnold is famous for--She is the only author with POLICE PROCEDURALS RESPECTED BY LAW ENFORCEMENT™. Readers who are particularly concerned that authors have well researched their books should be aware of this important designation, don't you think?  Her books are certainly complete in how the crime(s) is finally solved! In this particular story, there are three murders, all within a short period of time...

"I'm not justifying whoever did this at all,"
she said.
He remained silent, his gaze fixed on her...
"And since when do you try to justify a
crime?"
His question rendered her mute for a few
seconds. The judge within found her
guilty--she had just run through the
possibilities while trying to assign reason.
Some might not perceive that as
justification. But her drive had always been
to obtain justice for victims, not justify the
killer's actions.
Now, she'd be lying if she said she never
thought of exacting revenge...
~~~
Because while Madison, (played by Rizzoli, right?) and Terry, her partner, were working to determine who the old woman was, two more were killed in another part of town. One of them a vagrant. The other one a beautiful young woman. 

Still the toughest one in the trio seemed to be to  identified the woman sitting along the street in a wheelchair! Would you believe one of the first things they discovered was that she was one of the group regularly seen in that location who were marching against abortion! Yes, the woman did not need a wheelchair for she was quite an active older citizen!

I enjoyed the interplay between Madison and Terry, whose wife is soon to deliver a child who might have health problems and which takes him into depressive moods from time to time. But it is Madison who really caught my attention as she fought against flashbacks of both lost love and a dangerous time when the Russian Mafia had targeted her. I wondered whether she was really ready to go on with her work...but, at least, she was getting help along the way. Readers will see her drift off in a present, potential dangerous situation, while she flashbacks to just her memories... What a situation to be in and I immediately became protective of Madison, knowing my own flashbacks were a problem only for me, while she was placing herself in dangerous situations...

And that's just how it happens... I enjoyed meeting Madison Knight in the first book, Ties That Bind, of her series. By this time, I had grown to love and want to protect her... Isn't it wonderful to be able to become so close to characters?

Carolyn Arnold has that creative imagination, combined with a flawless writing style that helps create sympathetic characters at the same time they remain strong and dedicated to ensuring justice is found. Deadly Impulse is engrossing, compelling and suspenseful enough to ensure you'll be turning those pages until you arrive at the totally satisfying conclusion! This latest novel as well as the series is highly recommended!


GABixlerReviews



CAROLYN ARNOLD is the international bestselling and award-winning author of the Madison Knight, Brandon Fisher, and McKinley Mystery series. She is the only author with POLICE PROCEDURALS RESPECTED BY LAW ENFORCEMENT™
Carolyn was born in a small town, but that never kept her from dreaming big. On par with her large dreams is her overactive imagination that conjures up killers and cases to solve. She currently lives outside Toronto with her husband and two beagles, Max and Chelsea. She is also a member of Crime Writers of Canada
For more information and a FREE book offer, visit her website:
www.carolynarnold.net

No comments:

Post a Comment