Monday, May 2, 2016

Forever Sunshine: The Jane Cochran Story ...by Cary Allen Stone and Tyler Hosea....







“Yeah, well, mom was bigger than life, and I could never compete with Jane Cochran no matter what I did. She trained other female pilots to fly military aircraft during World War II––her beloved WACs. After the war, she was the first woman to break the sound barrier. I don’t remember how many flying records she broke. I took all of those plaques down months ago. As a civilian, she broke down even more barriers. She opened the door to the airlines for women. Mom had logged more flight time going into the airlines than any man applying. I went to med school, and I always believed I broke her heart because I did,” she said.
~~~

Forever Sunshine:
The Jane Cochran Story

By Cary Allen Stone
Tyler Hosea

He was on his way home after a long tiring trip. His sister meeting him gave him the warm, loving hug that he'd needed--perhaps for quite some time. They hadn't seen each other since their Mother's funeral. 

He'd relocated for his job and to be with his partner, while his sister had wanted to stay near home and had moved into their home place once their parents had both died.

Disappointed that Peter and Kyle wasn't with him, his sister promptly wanted to know where and how they were...which led to his sharing about Kyle already being confronted with comments about being a "homo." They knew that more was to come when he was in school but they were holding off talking to him. 

They had the day to themselves to catch up so big brother promptly started asking about when she was going to take the big step and go out on her own rather than working at a hospital...noting that she knew that their mother had wanted her to be a risk taker too.

He was surprised that she felt she had failed their mother so he promptly confronted her with her own accomplishments.  And it promptly became a mutual admiration conversation before turning into more discussion of their family's past.  “What’s wrong with your accomplishments in medicine? You’re a nationally recognized oncologist, Chairperson of the department. You broke quite a few barriers of your own, big sister. They don’t pale in mom’s shadow. Mom was mom. She started flying DC-3s, trained up to the Electra turbo-props, and flew the first jet-
powered Boeing. She flew everything between that and the A380. I don’t think she missed landing her airplane anywhere in the world. But you’ve saved lives in your career! They were so proud of you graduating a doctor of medicine, making discoveries, and becoming head of the department. They were proud when I graduated from law school, but they weren’t proud of my being a criminal attorney and keeping felons out of prison. I not only live in their shadow, I live in yours,” he said.


Forever Sunshine is one story in a Mother's Day Anthology with 13 authors sharing their work. As with most of us, we all think our mother was special, but I realized even more so that my mother and our family life was quite different. My father was killed in a coal mine accident before I was born. My mother worked day and night to keep our family in a home, clothed and fed. When you read a story like Forever Sunshine, it is hard not to make comparisons. Knowing my life might have been completely different, however, does not make me less in awe of how my mother raised four children totally on her own...I know she made me what I am today... 

It's a joy to learn about a woman that many would never have known without reading this story! How many can say their mother was the first woman to break the sound barrier, and at the same time, break barriers for women as female airline pilots! Her children did have a role model for their own lives!


She could not decide if the rest of the day would be good, or bad for them. When the lawyer read mom’s will, it said there was a letter she wanted them to read, at her graveside, on the first anniversary of her passing. Both had been tempted to open it early, but they waited as they were asked to do. She had an anxiety about it during the entire time...
She tried to be like mom in the operating room––calm and cool, never shaken, like a James Bond martini. She thought she had managed well, but the visit brought back a lot of memories, things she had stored away. She was uncomfortable with the day, going to mom’s grave and opening the letter. 
She went into the closet and dragged out a storage box full of citations and awards mom had received over her flying career. Mom was famous in aviation, but you would never have known it when you met her. Mom would listen to everyone else’s lives at the market, in church, and at social functions. Mom had an uncanny way of making everyone feel special. She had commendations for things she accomplished in the hospital, but she still felt overshadowed by her mom. A few tears rolled down her cheeks as she saw mom’s pilot wings,,,
~~~

They held their mother in high esteem. In fact, that was why this reunion was taking place...their mother had left a letter that came along with the reading of her will, asking that it be read on the anniversary of her death. All day as they'd been talking, "Forever Sunshine" had come into the conversation...just as their mother had said thousands of times. He remembered when he and his Dad would get into things and Mom would come in to soothe hard feelings...he could even remember her exact words about his question about why he was different...  She’d stroke my hair and tell me everything’s going to be all right, that I just needed to behave. I asked her once why I was different, why didn’t I feel like the other boys? She looked me in the eyes and said, ‘Because God wanted me to be that way.’ In that one sentence, she removed the cross I carried. That was mom, our forever sunshine.”

And then it was time to leave... He could feel his sister was apprehensive and talked to her about it... But when they got there, neither was prepared for what happened...

“Wow, this is so incredible. A famous rock band once sang, ‘The love you take, is equal to the love you make.’ 

This is a heartwarming story, with children looking back to remember their mother...and father as well. They remembered the family, together, and hoped to follow their parents as they raised their children in forever sunshine. This story is, of course, different for each family; but we can relate to it and seek out our own memories to consider and cherish. But it is the climatic ending that really makes the reader feel the emotional impact of this stirring and inspirational story... It's a touching, uplifting tale of a mother's love! Highly recommended...


GABixlerReviews



Cary Allen Stone Amazon TOP TEN Best-Selling author, Multi-Award-Winning, Crime Fiction and Psychological Thrillers 
Recently, my significant other, Tyler Hosea, and I co-authored a short story for a Mother's Day box set titled "Mother's Day Magic...With love" anthology along with 12 other award-winning authors from around the globe. I write crime fiction and psychological thrillers so when they asked what I wanted on my cover for the anthology, I said some blood and crime scene tape. I didn't get my cover, but we became Amazon Top Ten Best-Selling authors.
My backstory is, I spent almost forty years inside the cockpits of corporate jets and airlines and because of it I acquired a unique perspective of life. I was fortunate in 1992 to fly Sir Ridley Scott on a location scout in the islands. We talked about writing and building an image inside the words. He was quite a mentor. 
Before all of that, I graduated from high school with a JD, juvenile delinquent, and from college with a Bachelor of Arts. I was lucky to be involved in some feature films in LA and Indie films in Phoenix. I got to play the bad guy. I have done voice-over, radio commercials, and standup comedy magic. I represented the USA alongside nine other countries in the Night of Magic in Bogota, Colombia performing before dignitaries, ambassadors and their families. 
For my "Stealing Atlanta," I received the endorsements of Clive Cussler and Tim Dorsey. My first published work was a true crime story titled, "Through a Mother's Eyes." It was a case study of parents who murder their children. I had a friend who murdered her six-year-old son and I did a case study of the tragedy. Respected expert, Dr. Philip Resnik, said it was the best layman's book on the matter of "filicide." The book has a worldwide reach, and is intended to prevent another tragedy. Book Bub did a promotion on it and 14,976 books went out in a day.
Other than all of that, I am a proud member of the oldest women's writers club in the country, the Phoenix Writer's Club, begun by women reporters in the 1920s. I also know what the CocaCola recipe is.

Tyler Hosea is an editor and reviewer, and with Forever Sunshine a breakout author. She has contributed to all four of Cary Allen Stone's Jake Roberts Novels. She has the difficult job of being his significant other for the past eleven years, which is no small task. Tyler's profession has always been in aviation having spent twenty years in customer service and management. Her current position in aviation is classified. One of these days you will find Tyler behind the controls of an airplane as she continues her private pilot license. 
Tyler is an avid reader, a part of her nurtured by her mother since she was a young girl. She graduated with honors from Oglethorpe University. She is an official Georgia Peach having been born and raised in Atlanta, Georgia. She has traveled extensively around the world. Tyler has appeared on several of Cary Allen Stone's book covers. Both she and Cary will be writing their next complete book anthology continuing on from their Forever Sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment