“You’re lucky I didn’t leave you in that barrel. I was tempted, you know.”
It’s a part of you now, but it doesn’t have to dictate who you are or what you do.”
You’ll need to tread carefully and keep vigilance over any changes to your mind and body.”
Flynn chuckled, grateful for the distraction. “I will see what I can do. But knowing my luck, it is more likely to come with a lifetime of awkward statues and songs sung out of tune.”
She pushed open the cabin door, the familiar creak of the hinges welcoming her home. The space was small but comfortable, with a few personal touches, a blanket draped over the bed, a small chest for her belongings, and a lantern that cast a warm glow over the room. Orion was just about to collapse onto the bed when a sound caught her ear—a faint, almost imperceptible noise coming from the direction of the barrel she had placed the orb in earlier that day. She froze, her heart skipping a beat as she listened. There it was again—a soft, rhythmic thumping, as if something inside the barrel was trying to get out. “What the hell…?” she whispered, the alcohol-fueled haze in her mind quickly giving way to a surge of adrenaline. She glanced around the cabin, her eyes narrowing as she spotted her pistol resting on the bedside table. Without hesitation, she grabbed it, her hand steady despite the lingering effects of the ale. She moved cautiously toward the barrel, her breath shallow as she tried to make sense of the noise. The thumping grew louder as she approached, more insistent, like a heartbeat echoing in the confined space. Orion tightened her grip on the pistol, her finger hovering over the trigger. “What did I drag out of the ocean?” she muttered, her voice low and tense. Orion waved her free hand in the air to levitate the lid of the barrel off while still gripping the pistol with her other. With the lid hovering in the air, she peered inside, her eyes narrowing as she prepared for the worst. What she saw wasn’t what she expected. Instead of some monstrous creature or dark artifact, there was a man—a man curled up and sleeping in the barrel. His presence was so absurd, so out of place, that for a moment, Orion just stared, too stunned to react. The initial surge of fear that had gripped her faded, replaced by a rising tide of anger. “What the hell is this?” she hissed, more to herself than to the man in the barrel. She had expected to find her orb, the strange and powerful object she had pulled from the ocean earlier that day. Instead, she was looking at a stranger who had somehow taken its place. Her thoughts raced, where was the orb? Who was this man? And how did he end up on her ship? Her patience, already thin from the alcohol and the long day, snapped. Orion kicked the side of the barrel, the loud bang echoing in the small cabin. “Hey! Wake up, you bastard!” she shouted, her voice trembling with a mix of anger and confusion. “Where’s my orb?” The man stirred, blinking groggily as if he had just been roused from a deep sleep. His eyes were unfocused, and he looked disoriented as he struggled to sit up in the cramped space. “What…?” he mumbled, his voice thick with confusion. He pushed himself upright, his head emerging from the barrel as he looked around, clearly trying to make sense of his surroundings. Orion took a step back, her anger faltering as the man’s face came into view. Her breath caught in her throat, and for a moment, time seemed to stop. There was something about him, something she recognized. Her mind raced to connect the dots, but her body reacted faster. It was him. The face she had seen on countless wanted posters, The Marked Wraith. Panic surged through her, a cold, sharp wave that cut through the lingering effects of the alcohol. Without thinking, Orion reacted. She slammed the barrel lid down with all her might, the lid catching the man squarely on the head. The force of the blow knocked him back into the barrel, his eyes rolling back as he slumped into unconsciousness. Orion stood there, chest heaving, her heart racing. She hadn’t meant to hit him that hard, but the shock of recognizing him—the most wanted criminal in the land—had thrown her off balance. She stared at the closed barrel, her mind spinning with a thousand questions. The Marked Wraith, here, on her ship. How? Why? And where the hell was her orb? She could hardly believe it, but the evidence was right in front of her. The man in the barrel was the same one on the wanted posters, the same one who had terrorized the region for years. And she had knocked him out cold. Orion took a shaky breath, her thoughts racing. She needed to think, to figure out what to do next. But first, she needed to get her bearings. She had the most notorious outlaw in the land on her ship, and whatever had brought him here was likely connected to the mysterious orb she had found. She didn’t know what he wanted, but one thing was certain, she was in way over her head. “Was he here to finish me off for knowing about the orb? Did he fall asleep while waiting for me to get back?” Orion's heart pounded in her chest as she stood over the barrel, her thoughts racing. She took a deep breath, trying to calm the storm of emotions swirling inside her. The Marked Wraith, the most notorious criminal in the land—was unconscious in a barrel on her ship. And she had no idea what to do next. With trembling hands, Orion quickly held down the lid and locked the barrel shut, securing it with a thick rope she found nearby. The last thing she needed was for him to wake up and cause more trouble while she figured out her next move. As soon as the barrel was secured, she stumbled back to her bed, her legs feeling like jelly. The adrenaline rush was starting to fade, replaced by the lingering effects of the alcohol. Her head was spinning, and her mouth felt dry as a desert. Without thinking, she grabbed the jug of water sitting by her bedside and began to chug it down, desperate to sober up. The cool liquid soothed her parched throat, but it did little to calm the whirlwind of thoughts in her mind. When the jug was empty, Orion wiped her mouth with the back of her hand and sat down on the edge of her bed, her pistol clutched tightly in her lap. The barrel was locked, but she wasn’t taking any chances. She wasn’t about to let her guard down, not with him so close. She kept her eyes trained on the barrel across the room, every muscle in her body tense and ready to react at a moment’s notice. She didn’t know how long it would be until he woke up, but she would be ready when he did. The seconds ticked by, each one feeling like an eternity. Orion’s mind raced with questions, her earlier thoughts resurfacing with even more intensity. Who was this man really? Why was he here? And where was the orb? The thought of the orb sent a fresh wave of anxiety through her. She squeezed the pistol tighter, her knuckles turning white. The Marked Wraith wasn’t just any criminal—he was a legend, a ghost, someone who had eluded capture for years. And now, by some twist of fate, he was on her ship, under her roof. The realization made her head spin even more. Orion glanced at the barrel, her stomach churning with a mix of fear and determination. She had to stay sharp. She couldn’t afford to let her guard down. Not until she got some answers. As she sat there, waiting in the dim light of the cabin, her thoughts drifted back to the bounty poster she had so carelessly crumpled up and tucked into her bra. The face on that poster had seemed so distant, so unreal, just another tale spun by drunken sailors and gossiping townsfolk. But now, that face was here, in her cabin, and the reality of the situation was starting to sink in. Orion stared at the barrel for what felt like hours, her mind a storm of conflicting thoughts. She knew she couldn’t just sit here forever, waiting for him to wake up on his own. She needed answers, and she needed them now. The orb was too valuable, if not too dangerous to leave in the hands of a criminal, no matter how notorious he was. She also knew the orb wouldn’t come back to kill her if she sold it for money. Steadying herself, Orion rose from the bed, her pistol still clutched in one hand. She approached the barrel slowly, every step measured and deliberate. The earlier surge of adrenaline had faded, replaced by a cold determination. She wasn’t going to let fear control her. She placed the pistol on the table next to her, within easy reach but not in her hand, and took a deep breath. With a wave of her hand, she used her levitation magic to tip over the barrel violently, careful not to open it. “Wake up,” she said firmly, her voice steady despite the knot of anxiety tightening in her chest. “I need answers, and I’m not going to wait all night.” The man inside stirred, groaning softly as he regained consciousness. His eyes fluttered open, and he blinked in confusion, trying to make sense of his pitch-black surroundings. It took him a moment to realize his eyes were, in fact, open. “Where’s my orb?” she demanded, her tone leaving no room for evasion. “I know you took it. And don’t think I won’t turn you in for that bounty if you don’t tell me what I want to know.” The man was still disoriented. “Orb? What orb?” he mumbled, trying to piece together what had happened. His head throbbed, a dull ache from where something—he couldn’t quite remember what had hit him. “Don’t play dumb with me,” Orion snapped, her frustration bubbling over. “The black, shadowy orb I pulled from the ocean. You know exactly what I am talking about.” He rubbed the lump over his head, wincing at the pain. “Lady, I do not know what you’re on about. The last thing I remember is… well, honestly, I do not know. But I definitely did not take any orb.” Orion narrowed her eyes, her grip tightening on her magic as she began rolling the barrel. “Don’t lie to me. I could turn you in right now and collect enough to set me up for life. The only reason I haven’t is because I need to know where that orb is. But make no mistake, I’ll do it if I must.” The man’s sense of anxiety sharpened as her words sank in. “Turn me in? For what?” he asked, his voice edged with confusion and rising concern. “What the hell is going on here?” “You really don’t know, do you?” Orion asked, a mix of disbelief and suspicion coloring her tone. “You’re the Marked Wraith—the most wanted criminal in the land. The bounty on your head is enough to make anyone rich.” His eyes closed trying to grasp onto any memory involving any of the accusations. “The Marked Wraith? You’ve got the wrong guy. I don’t even know who that is.” Orion wasn’t convinced. “Right. And I suppose you don’t know why I found you passed out in a barrel on my ship, either?” The man grimaced in the barrel, struggling to sit up. “Look, I don’t know how I got here, but I’m not who you think I am. I just—wait a minute.” The man pressed his hand to his head again, trying to regain some memory. “Are you alone? When I came to, I saw you with a gun pointed at me, and then something hit me over the head.” Orion’s face flushed with embarrassment and anger. “That was my levitation magic, you idiot! I didn’t realize who you were until it was too late.” “What the hell kind of mage uses a gun?” The man scowled, his temper flaring. “Levitation magic? And you’re still using a gun? What kind of mage needs a gun when they’ve got magic at their disposal?” Orion pushed the barrel further with a hard kick, her anger rekindled. “The kind of mage who doesn’t take any chances, especially when dealing with a criminal like you!” “I’m not a criminal! And I’m definitely not this ‘Marked Wraith’ you’re talking about. You’ve got me all wrong.” The man yelled, his body twisted awkwardly in the barrel. Orion stared at the barrel, her resolve wavering. His indignation seemed genuine, but she wasn’t ready to let her guard down. “Then explain why you’re here. Explain why you were in that barrel.” “I would if I could,” the man muttered, rubbing the back of his head where the lid had struck. “But I don’t have a clue what’s going on. Last thing I remember… I was in a fight. Then everything went black, and now I’m here. Wherever here is.” Orion’s suspicion deepened, but so did her curiosity. He didn’t seem to be the cold-blooded outlaw she’d imagined. But that didn’t change the fact that he was here, on her ship, and the orb was missing. “I don’t believe you,” she said finally, though her tone was less certain than before. “But for now, you’re going to stay right there until I figure out what’s going on. And if you try anything funny, I won’t hesitate to turn you in.” He sighed. ‘Fine. But if you’re going to keep me here, at least let me out of this damn barrel. My legs are cramping.” Orion hesitated, her finger twitching toward the pistol on the table. She didn’t trust him, not yet—but she needed answers, and she wasn’t going to get them with him stuck in a barrel. Slowly, she opened the barrel lid and took a step back, keeping a watchful eye on the Marked Wraith. “Get out, but don’t try anything,” she warned, her voice firm. The man stood up slowly, unfolding himself from the cramped space. He rubbed his stiff limbs, his clothing was cinched all over as if they had been burned. His once battle-ready robe now looked like tattered short sleeves, as though he’d been working on a construction site for years. The man then looked at Orion with a mixture of annoyance and curiosity. “My name is Flynn Ashford. Now that I’m out, let’s talk. What’s this orb you keep going on about?” Orion crossed her arms, keeping her distance. “You tell me. You’re the one who was in the barrel where I left it.” Flynn shook his head, clearly baffled. “I swear, I have no idea what you’re talking about. But I’m starting to think we both might be in more trouble than we realize.” “Get out, but don’t try anything,” she warned, her voice firm. Flynn stood up slowly, unfolding himself from the cramped space. As he stretched his stiff limbs, Orion’s eyes locked onto something on his arm, a mark. Her breath caught in her throat as she recognized it: the Hero’s Mark, a symbol she’d seen only in stories and legends. Her heart pounded as realization dawned. This was Flynn, the infamous Marked Wraith. The sight of that mark made her blood run cold. Before Flynn could react, Orion snatched up her pistol from the table and pointed it directly at him, her hand steady despite the turmoil raging inside her. “Don’t move!” she barked, her voice trembling with both fear and anger. Flynn froze, confusion and alarm flashing in his eyes as he saw the gun aimed at him. “What the—?” “You can’t hide it from me,” Orion interrupted, her voice low and dangerous. With her free hand, she reached into her bra and pulled out the crumpled wanted poster she’d taken earlier. She held it up for him to see, her grip tightening on the paper. Flynn’s gaze flicked to the poster, and his face went pale as he saw the image of the Marked Wraith staring back at him. Orion’s eyes blazed with anger as she thrust the poster toward him. “You’re Flynn, the Coward Hero. The one they all say ran away and became the Marked Wraith. You think you can just show up here, with that mark on your arm, and expect me to believe you’re innocent? Start talking, or I swear I’ll shoot.” Flynn stared at the poster, his mind reeling. “I—wait, what?” He glanced down at his arm, at the Hero’s Mark he had almost forgotten he bore, and then back at Orion, who was now visibly shaking with a mix of fear and fury. “I’m not the Marked Wraith,” Flynn began, but Orion cut him off. “Don’t lie to me! The Hero’s Mark is right there on your arm! You’re the only person in the world who could have it. You’re Flynn, the hero who abandoned his friends and turned into the most wanted criminal in the land. Now tell me where the orb is, or I’ll end this right now.” Flynn swallowed hard, his mind racing as he tried to make sense of the accusations that were thrown at him. He could see the determination in Orion’s eyes, the way her hand didn’t waver on the gun. She wasn’t bluffing. “I don’t know what you’ve heard,” Flynn said carefully, raising his hands in a gesture of surrender, “but I’m not who you think I am. I’m Flynn, yes, but I didn’t turn into a criminal. I don’t even know what this Marked Wraith is. And as for the orb—I don’t know where it is. I don’t even know what it is.”
~~~~~~
This discussion is based upon a book introduced by the author to me on BlueSky. Please note that on Amazon, there is only one book by this author. The book I am discussing. Note that there are elements of a video on this book that I have questioned. Please be sure you get the right book if you wish to get the book I've reviewed.
With what could only be called a prelude to a major fantasy extraordinaire, upfront I want to confirm you have my full endorsement of this book. In fact, as the book closes, there is a hint of a follow-up, perhaps even a series, or a trilogy... What I know right now is that I want to read on...
Readers will meet a major character who will continue throughout this novel. He had a team of four who is involved with defending the world from its darkness... Flynn is a young man in his early 20s who, by chance, had stopped to help a young couple who was fighting off the destruction of their village. Yes, this is both a mystical setting as well as historical, perhaps even ancient history... What we do know is that it is a magical world in which there is both good and bad magic... The team was drawn to Flynn, perhaps because he had a tattoo (?) on his arm revealing he was/is a hero. When he had been helping the village leaders who were both dying, the magic insignia had to be continued, and they had chosen Flynn to receive it...
Readers will find Flynn to be somewhat humble and unsure that he should be seen as a hero. Since his arm declares him so, he works hard to live up to what he believes he has not earned... A "hero" after our hearts, you might say. In their latest challenge, one of the team gets hurt and needs to be helped out of the area. Flynn is the only one who remains to fight the evil monster. He does not win... Nor does he actually lose. He has been enclosed into a type of Orb and lay on the bottom of the ocean for 5 years...
The sea was calm today, its surface vast, like a mirror that reflected the clear sky above. The Wavechaser cut through the water smoothly, its crew working in harmony to bring in the day’s catch. Among them was Orion, a young mage. Her presence on the ship was both a necessity and a curiosity. She had always been driven by the promise of discovery, her heart quickening at the thought of uncovering something extraordinarily valuable beneath the waves. Orion stood at the edge of the deck, her sharp eyes scanning the ocean’s surface as she extended her hands, casting her magic into the depths below. The familiar warmth of the spell spread through her fingertips, sending pulses of energy into the water. Fish were drawn to it, their sleek bodies rising in response, and soon the nets were filling with a bounty.
In a world of magic, readers soon learn that everyday needs are routinely met in the most efficient manner, mostly by magic. So it was that we meet Orion, a young woman you might call a fisherman if she wasn't a mage instead... But, her chosen life is running a boat on which her skills are used to help the local men who daily work to find a catch that is both needed and helpful to the community. Orion has been using her mage skills to bring in a bounty each day that has been serving the village for many years... And today was no different, except... Orion found something in the catch that didn't belong. She called it an Orb, perhaps a priceless one that she could use to sell and become more than what her life now was...
But it didn't take long for her to proceed with handling the catch of the day and ultimately proceed on home to where her tired body could rest awhile... But curiosity was too much for Orion to wait, she ran to where she had hidden the Orb planning on opening a crate and learn more about her prize... As she entered the storage room, she heard tapping come from the crate... It was a little later that she opened the crate and found...a...man... Running for her pistol, she held the gun toward who we soon realized is Flynn--5 years later...
The writer has ensured that readers actually enjoy what is happening. Soon the characters are joking and smirking at each other, and laughing during the communication exchange that had been hidden for so many years. Flynn soon learns that Orion has the credentials of a mage of importance, even while she daily fishes... Still, Flynn's arrival and, soon, a recognition that her prized Orb might, in fact, be Flynn soon changes her life...
For Orion is well aware of all that has been happening during the last 5 years. Then, noticing, his arm insignia, she remembers that history had said that the Hero had run away and had turned dark... Only Orion is aware that she had caught the Orb from the sea, and had brought him directly from the sea to her present location. She was confident enough in her own magical skills to consider that what had been told was not the real Truth... Still, Flynn had been accused and needed to figure out how to clear his name, since he was being hunted with bounty posts showing his face!
As Orion and Flynn begin to feel more at ease with each other, Orion in particular begins to listen as she hears the true story of what happened to Flynn--that a spell had placed him to sleep for 5 years and it was only her pulling him from the sea that allowed his awakening! Now what? She had counted on the Orb to be something that she could sell and gain a nestegg for her future. Now, with that hope slowly dissipating, she became interested in what Flynn was saying... And, more specifically, that he could not have been the criminal committing acts of horror with dark magic. He hoped to find a way to investigate what had happened and prove his innocence. Orion knew of only one place that might fulfill his need... And a thrilling story awaits us!
Silverpeak is what you might call a "gated community." With guards... Without prior permission, you cannot even enter without some type of magical mana... Other than that, there is a mayor, a town council and various businesses, most selling products made internal by the citizens... Children play magical games in the streets... There is a pub where citizens gather to laugh and listen to music... But there is also the bounty board of criminals who are wanted--yes Flynn is there showing different horrible pictures as he seems to be deteriorating after each act of madness committed...

No comments:
Post a Comment