Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Adopted Brother, Manny Moreno's Here! Come on and Say Ketchem allea (Good Morning)! Read His Thoughts, Poetry, and Much More!

 

Note: No, I couldn't understand this language, but I knew it was important history of the Yaqui... I hope it incites interest to at least some readers...




Good morning.

If there is anything I want to be remembered for, it's that I have grown into feeling like this.
May God have mercy on me.
Have a blessed day.

~~~


Almost midnight. Outside it's mostly quiet. My friend Homie the cat, is asleep on the couch.

What is the human being way? Is it a sacred way? Or is it not? All religions or rituals, ceremonies and cults, in theory are created by humans, to guide or lead humans to a higher power. But overtime become corrupted and the reverance for the Creator is set to the side. I believe the Creator is spirit. The same spirit that created the universe, the earth, and all living things on it, including human beings. That is where the truth of power and reality exists. This is what I believe. The human being's ways are imperfect. But I find where humans walk in a sacred way, they usually pray to the Great Spirit, in spirit and in truth. Just my thoughts tonight. If it makes any sense. A'ateaka yeu matchune.

~~~

(with my two sisters)
I woke up a little while ago, and I can't go back to sleep. Got a pot of coffee brewing and it's still kind of warm inside. Burning sage. I was dreaming of my grandfathers and grandmothers. I feel blessed to have grown up with them around. Their generation is no longer here. But I have their memories that I will take to my grave. I lived so many years in the darkness. Not knowing about my ancestors. Not knowing where to look. I walked through the darkness to find the light over thirty years ago. When I got rid of the firewater. And the search began. I found my ancestors, and all the things that remain about them, leaving no doubt. It took decades of searching, frustrations, putting everything together to leave for our future generations. Through my veins they flow. They live. With that understanding becoming clear, I began to walk in a more respectful way. Reminded that I represent in my walk, all of those behind me. I've grown in many ways over time, like a baby learning how to walk. And it's been a humbling experience and a maturity. Not without shortcomings. Anyways, the coffee's ready. Catch you on the rebound. A'ho




RANCHO DE CENTINELA

I awaken each day
From the dream world
A place of all things possible
Alone
When taa'a, the sun, rises
Shining light on our world
Blessings my eyes
Thankful for another day

I eat alone
Think alone
Paing
               Draw
                                Write

Alone
Spinning my wheels
Over this thing and that thing
Worrying over nothing
Stir crazy sometimes
Connecting the two
The middle of nowhere
Nothing sacred here
Only the earth below my feet

Fast food drive-throughs
Taco wagons
Quick Stops
Truck stop filling stations
Mission de Oro

A passerby's oasis
To fill up, piss and grab
A burger to go
This is nowhere
And nowhere 
For me
Is like a dog
Without a bone
In the twilight zone
                                 --Santa Nella Blues
                                   Monolin Manny Moreno


City of Santa Nella. Hwy 5. California


SANTA NELLA WINDS

Almost all the time
The Santa Nella Winds
Like an unwanted visitor
Like a mean-spirited bully
Pound on the metal trailers
Banging them merilessly like
Loud clanging cymbals
Annoying for days and nights
Sandblasting everything in sight

A tall cottonwood
In solitide in a field
Of dry weeds in back
Clings tightly
To huge gnarled broken
Branches dangling
Reaching for the dry
Earth below them
When the winds bite them off
Like a hungry lion and I hope
They miss falling on my roof
--Monolin Manny Moreno
Santa Nella Blues

~~~



A VISION STANDS TALL

The bell tower of Mission de Oro
Is the tallest structure in Santa Nella
Jesus Monroy Garcia's Vision
He built and called Mission de Tesoro
Means treasure
On the very spot where
Tiburcio Vasquez spent his childhood days

For thirteen years I've seen it
Going out and coming in
Standing tall for all to see
The Vision of a man
Who never got to see
The whole Vision through
To build missions four
Hundred miles apart
From Alaska to South America
But this will do
--Monolin Manny Moreno
Santa Nella Blues
~~~



This is the painting of Manny that I have sitting next to me on a bookshelf as I work..

Of course, I have no idea what he was thinking as he created this...
But, for me, it represents the minutes, hours, months and years that he has worked, alone, to share His Gifts from God to all of us
What a treasure of history, of memories! His Life!

That's why I'm so happy and grateful that He Comes to Share
Here at Book Readers Heaven...

Indeed, I'll soon have in my hands the Manuscript 
                

I want to read it... He has already agreed that once I get the copy, I will be able to share selected excerpts with all of YOU!

And, most importantly, he has allowed me to be very clear once again... Manny Moreno needs YOUR help to publish what I believe he sees as his personal memoir... Once he wants to ensure that he can proudly sell and have sufficient copies to provide anybody who wants to read and learn about a Yaqui American who has struggled living in a white man's world for many, many years... He has become a true historian for his family and has gathered as much as he can to provide documentation, pictures and more, through his words and writings, paintings, and other creative works... I am constantly amazed at every single precious artistic endeavor comes out of just one man... Imagine--two people from each side of this nation found each other--certainly a God Incident!

So right now, on Manny's behalf, I have brought together a little more of the pieces of brilliance that seem to appear right from the top of his beautiful mind so often... And ask you to think hard about supporting an elder of his people, who, in today's politics, is finding DEI mandates especially difficult and a total inability for him to publish, perhaps, his last book... At least that's how I'm feeling as I try to create my Open Memoir to be just published here on Blogger... I wish for him even more. That his book can reach far into the hands of our indigenous citizens' hands and minds to know that we care enough to ensure the history of ALL peoples' histories are not ignored or even banned--but read carefully so that we may grow more closer and actually learn to Love our Neighbors as God has shown We The People Are...


I'm finding new pictures he's created all the time...They are fascinating, don't you think?
This one tells what I just said about him, as I interpret it...He's working to represent his culture and his heritage all at the same time... Such Talent! Must be Shared!



Folks, I love to watch how our indigenous and other cultures celebrate their heritage, don't you? I'll be starting reading Manny's book soon. In the meantime, I'd like to suggest that you introduce yourself to a neighbor, a fellow United States Citizen who lives right around the corner online! Go out and introduce yourself and ask to connect! Right now!    Find pictures of his ancestors, his drawings, and check out his stories, or just send a message or caring to your new friend!  



Don't forget to watch for chosen excerpts of his, yet, unpublished Book!

Manny Anthony Moreno on Facebook (Different names as needed this site)

God Bless Us One and All
Gabby


No comments:

Post a Comment