I have been a fan of mysteries since I started reading fiction. Many of the early books were turned into TV series, Nero Wolfe was one of them. Since then Wolfe has been played by a number of actors. The first video is an example of one of those actors. The second one, however, is the first and became my favorite Nero... I enjoyed most the personality of this actor. Even if you don't watch both movies - more on YouTube - you will discover that Wolfe is written to be somewhat of a recluse and can be a grudge. Not to mention how he is somewhat two-faced with his staff, including, even, his gofer, you might say...
You see Nero Wolfe, being a genius, was also somewhat of a snob. He expected most people to come to his home, where he had an office. His main life was based on 3 things. or you could say, 4... Reading, acting as a PI, and his love and study of orchids... And, eating... His staff includes a highly skilled chef with whom, in the book I just finished, are somewhat of a pair whose personal skills are belabored each evening as the next day's menu is planned. The resulting menu that was described often includes meals about which I had no idea what they would actually taste like, or even pronounce sometimes... LOL But Wolfe was the boss, so the chef found himself in a position of being ordered how each meal would be prepared... Two geniuses often argue, it seems...
And it begins...
I go to the Amazon desktop library, I type in Trouble in the Brownstone which is the title of the book. I have learned that the sorting proposed by the programmers of a library for Amazon readers require certain formats... But you are never quite sure what that format for any given book will be... NORMAL people use the title--the one that is supposed to be the actual title, in italics, accordikng to typing rules... But... sometimes the subtitle Must Be Used as Well... Who Knows?! Also, I unfortunately add, if you don't remember the exact full title, well there is NO HELP Like a normal search in the past... The mistake I made was typing in when it should have ben at... What? All I get is that a message saying it is not in my library... even though I just finished reading that same book... IF this is AI use, I'm not impressed... If this is way the programmer created for potential buyers? Forget about many sales!
So now I have to go back to my reader or to the Amazon site and find how what to type in on the software provided by that same company, for a desktop computer. I retype the name, not knowing whether I used the exact title or not (sorts in the past helped in that process and brought up a possible list of what you were seeking...but that was before AI searches, it seems...or whatever the reason is that normal sorting and searching which was extremely easy for customers actually helped rather than hindered... I'm being repetitive, because this entire computer issue flashes me back to the machine trigger of PTSD...
Now, the problem is that there are now two books seen on the screen... I click on the title... It doesn't work... I click on dots at the end. a popup occurs. I click the box and I see Open...and other options... The open cannot be used... So I try the next line of the same book that was finally pulled up. It produces the same popup all of which performed exactly the same as the first line. and I still don't have the book opened...
So I go back to my reader and try to figure out just how much I have to type from the title page of the book... By the time I go back, again, one has been checked! Apparently you begin to learn that sync is extremely slow in happening... And, that the download of the book has now taken place and I can actually open that book on my desktop version... Sigh...
As an aside, I'm a fast typer. In fact, this flashes me back to when I was kicked off Facebook for nearly two years on the supposed excuse that my account may have been hacked... I kept after them and finally some brave soul sent the message "I type too fast..." TRUTH... Had I broken the computer? Do computers these days only work at one certain rate of typing? Is that on purpose, or once again they have not foreseen that a user of "their" computer programming might type fast? All I know that this company totally ignored me until I did what everybody else did and create a new account with a different name that nobody would know... That is... my 5000+ connections as a book reviewer... And none of my former groups were recoverable. I lost what I think is the first book related group on Facebook at the time I created Reviewers Roundup... All of that was lost and I was told unrecoverable... yeah, right...
Now, while I was reading I didn't find the copyright page, so I try again on the desktop and was referred to another site to get a free copy of the book, which I already have... Key to this issue is, of course, the new AI scare of authors, and I don't really blame them, because we all know that criminals on computers are prolific at hacking if they so desire... Ok, now what do I do. Do I just ignore a copyright...
That could be a problem, because the author is a new writer who has been accepted as one who is able to "continue" the writing style of the original creator and author of the Nero Wolfe series... What to do? I decide to go to Amazon and pull up my original purchase and check out, possibly, the author's page...
After several types of searches, I have given up. There is no longer the ability to read some of the book... There is no longer the ability to easily find your order since you must guess how that particular program was written... I was unable to pull up the book on my order list in a search. I was able to bring up the book with the title on the product search activity... Geesh... That means to me that they do not have an integrated computer system, even by type of product... Sad...
There was nothing that showed a copyright date which I could verify. Therefore, I haven't yet a plan how to present my actual review, except I did pick up a copy of the book cover... So I begin again... with a final comment. Evidence continues to mount that AI or whatever is happening in corporations is NOT improving buyer's happiness with actually purchasing! And their USE!
I found this vid by accident, by searching to verify my memory for Rex Stout... Seriously, do you get the feeling that I have become sarcastic? Well, I have to say that, actually, I am writing the truth of what actually happens on my screen...
Now... now that I've introduced Rex Stout, by accident, I want to share that I found the author of the book Trouble at the Brownstone, while doing an excellent Nero Wolfe Mystery, in my opinion has improved the books. His writing of a novel surpasses what I remember. What I found was that, in broadening the scope of daily activities and the expanded character development into the personal lives of those people, I found more of a literary enjoyment than with earlier mystery novels. For me, I discovered I didn't mind that the book was slower-paced. I didn't mind that I was lingering over some parts, rather than working my brain to catch any clues of the mystery so that I could be in competition as to whether I had solved the mystery by the close of the book... LOL
You see, Nero Wolfe has a style of solving a mystery... He holds his ongoing thoughts about a case until the very end to "reveal" the guilty party(ies). Other writers have used this concept. Having just read an expert in that scene, I'd say that Nero Wolfe is the best at it...
Although his gofer associate is rarely satisfied with his own involvement. You see Archie Goodwin is, in many ways, also a main character and actual partner to Wolfe, although Wolfe's role dominates by virtue of his egotistical personality. We know how that can be, even from someone who is not a genius...but who has more power than he should, don't we?
Archie is a PI himself. Actually, he is the character who does the actual investigation for the team. He is out doing the interviews... He is also out getting shot at or beat up, the latter actually occurring in this book. And, also in this book, we learn that Archie has a personal life with a little romance added for flavor... Just a tasty addition to the gourmet food that is also elaborately discussed... Archie is also the narrator of the story, since he, in theory, also acts as the secretary to Nero Wolfe, which includes, for instance, typing up the letters, filing of the records on the orchids, making the calls to see if so-and-so is in and available to speak to Wolfe... Yes, all these tasks, including the last one especially for ego purposes, used to be done by a title that no longer exists. A professional secretary or administrative assistant... Archie also listens in on most calls and is definitely second listener on all calls that could be relevant to the case. There is also an investigative staff in addition to Archie, but it is always Nero Wolfe who presents what has occurred: how it was done and who he considers part of the crime(s) and it is then turned over to the police representative who is included in that final Wolfe Reveal. Wolfe also enjoys sharing his formidable memory of what he's read whenever a case involves historical facts or events...
And that is how this book set historically suddenly became relevant to today's U.S.!
This mystery actually was personal for Wolfe. One of his important staff members had been beaten and throughout most of the book in a coma in the hospital. Under a doctor who was much more involved in patient health care than is now available these days... So, Wolfe had already initiated his own investigation to discover who had deprived him of his valued staff member. He is an expert in the care of orchids... So throughout the book, we hear of Wolfe 's opinion of his temporary replacement and his lack of similar skills provided from his permanent assistant...
In any event, it became so much a part of the discussion, I decided I needed some edification on the care of orchids... at the lower level of course... Mainly I just wanted to see how the orchids, which are very beautiful, actually were grown in the house... Wolfe has an entire floor in the Brownstone of actual plants, as well, I would think, of what is needed for caring for that actual greenhouse environment... Of course, you can just look at the orchid in bloom or the one that is in trouble and proceed on to more about the mystery...
To begin the mystery, we learn that Wolfe's orchid assistant, who had recently moved out of the small room he had been assigned at the Brownstone, was living in a modest hotel, and even playing bridge in the evenings with a group of friends he had found in the outside world. The bridge, and other card games, was being played at a table provided in a local bar near to his new residence. Soon after being attacked, and the investigation began, they learned that another member of the same bridge group had been murdered and thrown in the nearby waterway.
I know, I know, I'm giving away the ending by identifying that Nazis were being illegally brought into both the North and South America. I would not normally do this. But we all know that, beginning under the first term of office, it was clear that Trump had no concern about who supported him, including known white supremacists groups, including KKK and NeoNazis... Further, it could be concluded that on January 6th, many of those white supremacists groups were part of the January 6th Insurrection incited by this president as proven by the Special Counsel...
I have been unable to determine the copyright regulations. I have therefore added an excerpt with location source reference as I had earlier announced would be my effort to comply... I did learn that this book was published June 15, 2021. However, there were no stops by the book under the Amazon library software which, in the past, stopped me with warning that I had reached publisher's limit, which I have traditionally used to comply with copyright.
Although I am no longer willing to post on Amazon because of lack of trust at this time, I still want to provide my thoughts and opinions...
The use of fiction to actually teach history I have found to be a very valuable addition to what is learned in traditional public schools. Some also exceed university level due to timing of publication. This has been another act by the republican party to attempt to ban books to exclude information about the realities of what man has done to man by citizens in the past in this nation and is simply not to be accepted!
This book goes into detail of just how badly people are hurting whenever a war by an insane man can result in those who are criminally inclined and willing to take advantage of these people in order to make money. The use of blackmail was behind the criminals ultimately identified by Wolfe. We discovered that even the nazi members were being forced to pay a fee to travel to another country. Those poorer nazi members who undoubtedly were forced into the military by their authoritarian leader. These individual who were coming into the country were not only being forced to pay for passage, but were also pulled into new criminal activities in order to begin to earn some type of money to be able to live and hopefully find a job... If they weren't killed or arrested during their assigned violent activities.
The book in my opinion reflects the lives of those immigrants who are now being targeted and placed in government facilities which are being managed and paid for by the federal government. Reports show that they are hungry, not provided with proper environmental conditions, and have very minimal medical care. Including that children are separated if a woman is pregnant and the baby born within those facilities. I am not taking the time to find videos documenting this latest inhumane act by our federal government. The killings of citizens on the streets by masked men is sufficient to alert us that this group of hired thugs are exactly who are those who are willing to do what this president commands--whatever immoral act that may include.
Aside from the excellent writing and the work of Nero Wolfe's fascinating skill in solving mysteries, I found the criminal acts too old to be of significant difficulty or interest. The criminals were clearly identifiable based upon what the investigation presented to readers. The method of repetition ensured we grasped everything. That is, Archie would discover something. He would then report to Wolfe. Later they would also report to a police detective, and/or a newspaper reporter with whom they worked based upon trust... All the normal mode of communication in historical times...
The actual Wolfe Reveal was a fascinating ending... but then sharing that is a no-no for a reviewer. Hopefully what I've shared will give you enough of the idea about the book to decide for yourself whether you'd like to read it. I will not make a specific recommendation on this one. Other books by this author might not be so revelatory with the mystery, although I can't assume that given the repetitive office environment of the Wolfe PI Investigations. I did very much enjoy it, but then I knew Nero Wolfe before I decided to select the book. Take a chance if you're looking for a very unique type of mystery based upon the main character being award-winning regardless of different authors... Let me know what you think if you do read it!
Gabby
Hot of the Press


No comments:
Post a Comment