Thursday, December 1, 2022

Recognizing World Aids Day - Remembering My Friend, Joseph Michael Fortney - Author of One Man's Madness: Living With Aids

 




When you have the privilege to work with an author to "create" the book he wanted to leave his family, his friends, and the world of AIDS Victims, You tend not to forget that wonderful, unusual experience. I worked with Joseph as the person behind the scenes who does everything necessary to get many different poems together and in a format for publishing. For those interested in reading more of his poems, here's a link to one that includes a copy of the book cover and one of his poems... Searching on his name will bring up all that I've shared, including my Foreword, also in poetic form. 

On this World Aids Day, I'm helping to spread the word that there has been much improvement in stopping the spread of AIDS. But it has not been deleted as a killer of, now, millions. Joe writes about how he first met the killer which ultimately took his life.

Violated

I awoke one morning
no longer being naive
and quickly became wiser.

For you see,
I was violanted.

But I, too, had to understand,
Against all efforts to keep this from happening,
I was silently violated. . .without warning!

Then, as if someone tossed a bomb at me,
and during the aftermath,
I was changed forever.

I did not ask for this,
No one does.
But this is one violater who doesn't care
as he reaps his way into my soul
and setles in to torment me so.

So now I fight harder than before
and I'm now trying to keep him at bay...
For you see, I don't want to be just another victim
or a number on a slab

I've always wanted to leave a legacy
of who I was,
But now
I'm fighting harder to see to it
I was strong and gave my all.

To show my family that I became something
and also for myself.

I want to make my mark in this world
and "not be forgotten."

~~~

After having gone through years of another pandemic, Covid, I think I and, perhaps, many others, will find much in Joe's words as he shared how he just wished he could be touched...seen...

A Gentle Touch

Since I've become infected, I've lost the most valued feeling anyone could lose
and that's intimacy
There's no longer the huma touch of love.

Sure the verbal reassurances is there,
but not to be touched anymore by your partner
is the greatest pain one can feel.

It's partly due to fear
And I'm not sure of the other.

But I always thought pure intimacy was unconditional, 
even having the knowledge of hou you can and cannot
become as I am now.

I truly yearn for the stroking of my body
and caressing my soul...

I'm not really complaining,
only letting others know how we feel,
Loved, yet, alone.

I'm still the same,
warm and truly deserving of a gentle touch,
and the intimacy I once felt.

Wosh I could turn back the hands of time 
to have that again and not just a memory...

Am I asking for too much?

I realize there are changes
but does this have to be one?

I hold love and intimacy so dear,
so why does this have to be taken from me?

~~~

And then a plea, perhaps feeling his time is short...

Hey Mister Man


Hey Mister Man
Can you help me,
I've fallen and I'm so tired?

Hey Mister Man
Can you carry me,
would I be too much of a burden for you?

Hey Mister Man
Can you help, so I can walk by your side,
instead of laying in your arms?

Hey Mister Man
Can You?

~~~





I believe God is continuing to teach and train and help people learn how to solve the many mysteries of science and those diseases that arrive on earth... Just as he has done to continue to move toward, one day, the total elimination of the AIDS Virus... I hope this day, you may consider how you may participate in this endeavor...  Look for my more thoughts on this soon....

God Bless

Gabbie


No comments:

Post a Comment