Sunday, September 2, 2018

Praising the Lord from Alpha to Omega... by Shirley Francis-Salley With Complementary Songs of Praise...

This book is about Praise...Praising the Lord!



But it is so much more! It is geared toward Tweens and Teens, but it is just as appropriate for adults who want an interesting teaching book... from an experienced author...


Shirley Francis-Salley is a children’s ministry teacher and award winning author. For more than ten years she has been dedicated to a mission of creating Sunday school lessons that make the word of God appealing and practical in the daily lives of children in grades K-6. Her love of children and writing led her to do field writing for a few well known Christian publishers including Cook Communications Ministries. She has published articles, short stories, skits, Bible dramas, song lyrics, board games, Sunday school lessons and lesson plans.

As a wife, mother, grandma, teacher and writer, she has countless opportunities to write about the situations of everyday life that confront us no matter what age we are. Shirley resides in New York with her husband Joseph and their cat, Shadow. 





There are ten Psalms in the bible that are called "hallelujah psalms" and that's because they begin with "Praise the Lord." They are Psalms 106, 111-113m 146, 150...

The word hallelujah is a verb. A very is a word that shows action. Shouting hallelujah is an act of praising God.


The word hallelujah is an interjection. An interjection is a word that shows emotion. It is an exclamation a loud calling out or sudden outcry and expresses feelings of job in praying God...


The word hallelujah is a noun. A noun is the name os a person, place, or thing. A hearty hallelujah is one of the beautiful things we give God when we offer Him praise using our physical bodies.


For me, when I hear Hallelujah and Praise the Lord, which is how the book begins, I automatically have songs named in my mind. I remember when we were having a good ole revival that in the middle of the service, The first song above would be announced...It would be used for getting the congregation revived after sitting... So Men/boys would be asked to sing Hallelujah and women/girls would be called on to sing Praise Ye the Lord! Thing is, that we had to stand up for singing and sit down while not...And yes, we had a lot of fun when the words got ahead of the sitting and standing...LOL... But I loved that song and still sing it in my mind quite often...

The author begins her book by talking about starting our time with the Lord by praising God...But then she goes on to talk about how those words could easily express joy and praise, but also can be used to seek presence with Him...

I discovered that this author and I have similar methods for sharing with our younger, and older, friends. What I do, personally, when I'm anxious and can't get to sleep, and can't calm my mind down, I start with the alphabet and think of words that I know relates to the Great I Am...  Sometimes I go through the entire alphabet, and sometimes I drift off quickly... This method was used along with beautiful illustrations provided by John McNees  and sharing a scripture in which the word is used...moving from A to Z... This is my favorite part of the book and I wish I could share the actual pages, but want to include several of my favorite examples:

B Beautiful - Lord, You are Beautiful!
     Praise the LORD because he is good. Make music to praise his name, because his name is beautiful. Psalm 135:3



H Holy - Lord, You are Holy
     Exalt the Lord our God! Bow low before his feet, for he is holy! Psalm 99:5



W Worthy
     You are worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honor and power, For you created all things, And by Your will they exist and were created. Rev. 4:11


X-traordinary!
     Lord, you are X-traordinary! O Lord, you are my God! I will exalt you in praise, I will extol your fame. For you have done extraordinary things, and executed plans made long ago exactly as you decreed. Isaiah 25:1



While the book is geared toward creating a small group within the church or, perhaps, in the community, I believe it can also serve one individual in their efforts to learn. It would make a wonderful gift or stocking stuffer...

The last section begins the actual Bible study outline. It provides an individual information overview which tells Who Wrote the Book of the Bible, When and Why it was written And what the purpose of the author was. Then taking a specific scripture (such as Jude 1:24: To him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy—NIV) the author explains, Jude offers a great praise to the Lord pointing out that He has the power and is able to keep those who trust Him on the right track. And then closes with a challenge--What you can do, with a simple declarative statement: Trust and believe that God is able to protect and guide you.







Seek guidance in preparing your children to know and serve our God. I recommend you check this book out as one that is wonderfully presented in His Service...


GABixlerReviews

No comments:

Post a Comment