Monday, August 24, 2026

J. D. Robb Shocks Readers with Bonded in Death - And the Urban Wars Circa 2024-26 - Talking Begins!

Revenge is the poor delight of little minds. --Juvenal




Opening her eyes, she studied the photo of the canister. 2024. Thirty-seven years death had waited. Had the killer kept it all that time? Hidden away somewhere until he carefully drew the skull and crossbones, rigged the trigger? Phosphine = fumigation. Kill rats, pests. Wasps = pests. “Saved it for you. Specifically you? Like crimes isn’t going to hit.”

Gabby's Talking about Favorite Author J.D. Robbs

Also known as Nora Roberts

With Eve and Roarke You'll enjoy Their Love...



“How’d they take it?” “Like the professionals they are. And with considerable mining for details. They want to see the recording. And before you say no, which is your first instinct as it was mine, these are people who worked with the kind of device we deactivated.” “You deactivated. I held the damn light. I’ll think about it. I’ll think about it because they did work with that type of device, and because—active or not, and who can be sure which—they are pros.” When she walked into the bedroom and saw the cat sprawled on the bed, she immediately felt better. But winding through the better, she was embarrassed to realize, was a strong thread of resentment. She pointed at him. “He didn’t give me the time of day— Why did I say that? How’s a cat supposed to tell you the time? God, I hate saying things that make no sense. I’m surprised he’s not bunking with one of them.” “They’re an entertaining and attentive novelty. You’re home.” 
Home, she thought. Sanctuary or safe house, it was still home. And that’s where they were. A couple hours before, they’d been one wrong move away from a very nasty death. She gave Roarke one long look, then put her hands on his shoulders. She boosted herself up, wrapped her legs around his waist, and locked her mouth to his. “I had caffeine and sugar.” Revved and ready, she nipped her teeth along his throat. “We could’ve been pink mist, but we’re not. And I still like your face.” “I’ll need to deactivate forty-year-old bombs more often.” “Solid negative there.” She went back to his mouth as he dropped them both on the bed. The cat gave one low growl of annoyance as he rolled away and leaped off the bed. “Serves him right. And why is it whenever I’m in a hurry, you’re wearing too many clothes?” “So are you, plus you’re still armed. But we’ll take care of that.” It didn’t take him long to release her weapon harness, strip that away. It took her longer to tug him out of his jacket as his mouth, his hands, distracted her. While she struggled with his shirt, he had hers off so quickly it might not have been there in the first place. Now, with her blood running hot, her pulse thumping fast, he drew up her legs to pull off her boots. “Nearly there.” “Come here, come here.” She dragged him back to her, just to feel the weight, the shape of him over her, the taste, the heat of his mouth on hers. All so real, so warm. So alive. So his hands stroked down her, taking that pleasure, down the long torso, the narrow hips, those endless legs. If he burned for her, she’d kindled the flame, and it spread as he took his mouth over flesh and bone and muscle. His warrior, his heart, his abiding passion. She stripped off his shirt; he peeled away her tank. And they were flesh to flesh, body to body, heart to heart while the kiss took on a wildness that raced through both of them... Looking into those vivid blue eyes, she saw the same need, the same heart, the same unity. “I love you.” “A ghrá.” With his eyes on hers, he let himself fall into her.

~~~~~~

Whether a coincident or not, that this book was published last year, but just hit my attention, I immediately confirmed that the copyright is dated 2025, What that means to me, as a lover of this series and all the ongoing characters, I was on alert when almost immediately a reference was made to Urban Wars...

This is a totally futuristic series, so we see many of the advancements that might have occurred... And, yet, the characters are created so that, for me, I fell in love with the very first book I read many years ago. While I've gone on to read many others fictional novels as a book reviewer is prone to do, and have not read the entire series, I was especially thankful that I got a copy on Bonded in Death!

Let me explain why I was struck with the author's decision to write this book, at this time. To me, it is another of the thousands of books now being written about RIGHT NOW! Simply because of the potential loss of freedom in our world...as is being incited by the U.S.

You see, the Urban Wars, as discussed in this book happened in the 2025-26 time period... World-wide wars and fighting by people all over the world are happening in this book. It was almost immediately obvious that the author chose to write a futuristic book about the historical events now happening in today's world. Wow! Sure, settings were changed. Characters might resemble authoritarian men now alive and known... But the storyline is unique. So much so that there is no possible connection some readers might find if they were not already deeply involved and following the news of this time period across the world, with new terrors being announced daily. In various parts of the world, just like the book's plot... 

Bonded in Death is highly recommended not only as a fantastic long-term series that I've enjoyed for each and every book. But there is sufficient reference to what history will record, indeed, as "Urban" Wars to have occurred in the U.S. and many other countries. Places like Gaza, Ukraine, South Korea...and the latest, today, Canada's response to the U.S. president who has succeeded in disrupting the entire world through his personal choices and actions. In an extremely negative way...

The use of Urban itself is revealing of the time period... ICE is invading and acting in a violent war-like fashion in the United States. Hamas initiated a fight at a local entertainment event... Retalization was made and the entire Gaza city was attacked, many more murdered... Russia had already begun by taking a part of Ukraine and then declared war on the entire country. The U.S. without approval by Congress initiated war on Iran... The U.S. also bombed in South American oceans, ships that they claimed carried drugs. Action occurred without verification. Death was the result... to name just a few of the atrocities during this time period of "Urban" Wars...

Even a major event in the book followed an occurrence we all know about during this time period... The bombing of a school... where one of The Twelve gave her life during a planned bombing by identifying the betrayal of another Twelve member...

Readers will meet the members remaining of The Twelve. We will learn their backgrounds because it was determined that one of the original group had betrayed the group members... And in the present time period in the future, one of those twelve had just been murdered in a horrible, but historical manner from the Urban War period...

Let me next identify the three main characters who live together as a unit in a large palatial-type home in the future. Readers learn of all the wonderful sounding types of equipment for our homes that will be available in the future, or not... LOL Do not expect what you might see in the more futuristic Star Trek series where thousands travel across the world and must have everything available within a space ship to live...

Eve is a cop, a lieutenant, who is very well respected by all the people--men and women--who know her... She is married to Roarke who is the most richest, or one of them, in the world. Key to this marriage is their individual life stories from childhood which I remember well, but will not share. Let's just say that, like many of us, their pasts made them who they are in the future in which they live. As most of us are...

I have an interesting relationship with Summerset, the third member of the main characters homestead. I tend to enjoy the clashes mostly created by Eve when having to talk to this man who acts as what I would call house manager for the large home. At the same time, I'm wondering if this particular book will soften that relationship in future books...It would be a nice development for the two key characters.

You see, we learn that Summerset was a member of The Twelve! And, at the first murder, a fake ID card for Eve had been placed in between two fingers of the victim who we find was also a member of this group of twelve... It read:

HERE LIES THE DEAD WASP. 

HE JOINS FAWN, HAWK, RABBIT. 

XII ARE NOW VIII. 

SOON THERE WILL BE ONLY I.

So why did this villain bring Eve into the mix? Well, it could be because she has been friends with an investigative reporter who had also written a book which included Eve as a hot-shot topcop... LOL I was willing to go with that, just so I could continue to read...In any event, Eve would have been the cop for this high profile murder case anyway... But I wondered if he already knew that his perceived rival with The Twelve lived in the same household as Eve...

“That’s fine. How do you kill a rabbit?” “Aw.” “He might’ve killed the other three he named. A method designed for them. Kill the Wasp—poison gas. Kill the rabbit?”

Each of The Twelve had been given code names. Once the group was together they chose an animal/insect to reflect the skill or personality of each of the twelve... As the investigation begins, Eve realized that what was used to kill the recent victim was based upon how you might kill the Wasp--code name for the deceased...

Would the present-day killer know the code names for each of The Twelve? Perhaps. At least it was something that could not be ignored... So Eve began to consider how and when the next murder could occur...

And the very first issue to be worked on, was gathering all of the remaining Twelve into a safe and secure space until this was over... Roarke, in honoring Summersett said they would be brought into his home, one of the safest homes available at that time!

Reading about the police work and what was part of the advances in criminal activity as well as policing was fascinating, at the same time, because of the time period designated in the book, it also spotlights just how out of control the United States has become with one party unwilling to deal with gun control efforts... Right? I believe it so I might as well include it...When a president claims that the financial needs of the military are the highest priority for a nation? Well, I have to strongly disagree and support the differing opinion by a majority of U.S. citizens...

“Things began going to shit in Europe in about 2016. [Trump withdrew from NATO) Started earlier, lasted longer there, in some places, than here. Don’t you think his wife would know?” “If so, we’ll find out in a few hours. Meanwhile, we’ll keep your spy-guy deal under consideration.” “Maybe he didn’t actually retire. It’s just a smoke screen.” “Under advisement,” Eve said, and they clanged down the metal steps to the garage. “There are all kinds of frosty vids about spies during the Urbans.” “Vids are vids, not real life.” Peabody got into the car. “The Icove vid is pretty true to life. We lived it.” “Don’t remind me. And you know what? You know what the hell? Maybe this arrogant guy decided he wanted the cops who had a couple of damn bestsellers detailing their cases, and a vid about one of those cases, chasing his ass. So he can prove how damn smart he is. “It wouldn’t surprise me a damn bit.” “But that would be his mistake,” Peabody pointed out. “Because we’re the cops who busted the Icove case, and the cops who kicked Red Horse’s ass.” “Yeah, yeah, yeah.” Eve zipped out of the garage. “You know Nadine’s working on another freaking book.” “The Natural Order investigation. I know. I bet it rocks.” “I worry about you, Peabody. I don’t want to, but I worry about you.” 

Peabody and her mate is just one of the funny couples you'll meet in this series...Peabody is Eve's partner and a better partner could not be had...

I think...if  you decide to check out even one of J.D. Robb's books, you, too, will become hooked just like me.  For me, Bonded in Death is one of the best in series!

Gabby


No comments:

Post a Comment