Thursday, June 9, 2022

One Final Shout Out to WVU Hospital! The WVU Medicine, Center for Joint Replacement: Getting You Back In The Game of Life!

 


You Gotta Love when a phrase pops into your mind, and immediately you can find some video about it, and even one that will make you smile! This one did for me. For you see, my experiences of medical attention over the last year or so has indeed included all three situations--The Good, The Bad...and The Ugly... 

The Good

Of course, the good includes all those who performed their duties as medical staff, doctors, and more...even to those who wheeled me around from one place to another... I've met them... As you may know, I've already written a number of articles about these past months. They can be found on my sister Blog, Just My Personal Opinion, Of Course... If you haven't visited there before, please look around and enjoy! The first five or so posts are the most relevant...

On my first visits to meet with the Center for Joint Replacement, I was given a notebook. That notebook was to be used as a direct support to all that I would be involved with as I underwent a joint replacement. The book I received was for Hip. I am assuming that a book for each potential replacement issue has been provided or are in the midst of being prepared, for the people I learned included over 700,000 replacements annually!

Additionally, I was introduced to the beginning of a Team that would be working with me either, for specific issues, or throughout the entire process through to completion and release from my surgery. There were also relevant videos available for illustrating such things as the pre- and post-surgery exercises I was assigned. Given my business background, I was impressed not only with the preparation of such a manual, but also all of the staff that actually worked on the Joint and Bone Replacement Floor at the Hospital. Including my two rehabilitation counselors who helped me use great tools that were provided to help with dressing, putting on shoes and socks, etc., that would be greatly limited for the six weeks after surgery.

A few shout-outs--to that night nurse who was caught in a time when I was frustrated by an issue...and when I apologized she noted that was what she was there for... and again in the morning. No real face time was realized, but I still remember her one statement..."That's What I'm Here For..." And no apologies from me were even needed...

A shout-out to one of the rarely seen--a custodial manager (not sure proper title) who happened to be conducting an on-site interview with patients regarding how his staff were providing support for me. I might be one of the few who actually read the little tent sitting on my bedside table, which showed what duties were to happen each day... Unfortunately, it was not a good report...in our joint opinion... So the good part was that I knew the very real problem he and others in a busy hospital wing would have... I considered my time with him a God Incident. He would not be hearing good news; but, on the other hand, I was a person with direct background experience that could help him see, and, maybe better communicate, the very real issues that he and his staff daily faced.

So I shared my personal background, referring to my year-long assignment to create a plan of action for the WVU main campus of all deferred maintenance (and highlighting my own past responsibility for all general-purpose classrooms, earlier). I created, working with all Physical Plant trade staff, a comprehensive report, as well as an online inventory for all land, buildings, and rooms, specific jobs required, a cost estimate, and a final cost analysis and requirement to meet the needs of just getting all facilities up and totally renewed for future use.  As we talked, I realized one thing. There was No Way that his staff could conduct the required services--even if they were based on Covid requirements. The rooms were used 24-7, being replaced with a new patient as soon as one was discharged. When I was responsible for renewing and upgrading classrooms on campus, I also had total responsibility for scheduling all University classes...so I could actually block out a few rooms to keep for maintenance work, while ensuring all classes were still scheduled, albeit, with a few more early morning or late afternoon classes that were not preferred by faculty.

To close that issue, I hope I get a chance to pass on my concerns about custodial staff not really being able to do their work, as required... That they did show up, but rarely could actually do what all was required, sadly... Mainly due to other medical staff moving in and out of the rooms to take tests, monitor meds, etc.

The Bad

Other than when I was born, also in a Morgantown, WV, hospital, Vincent Palotti, which is no longer open, I've only been in the hospital two times. I thank God for those blessings, even while acknowledging that I did little to actually take care of the "temple" he gave me (more on that some day). I was grateful to have two exceptional surgeons--I knew they were, based upon our exchanges, with them--Always professional, but always responsive to providing complete information and responses to my questions.

It was my first visit that confused me most. All because of very poor communication by those involved. What I discovered was that when I described a specific need on the very first day, that need was never fully addressed all the way through to my last days in the hospital for brain surgery--about five days. Once I realized the problem, I was quick to ensure that I knew exactly what the issue was and I worked to get it fixed, albeit, not in total control of my emotional level. By the way, part of that was due to one of the pain drugs I was given. Finding out you have a side effect to something "while" you are taking it, is not a good thing. But, of course, who could have known that I would have such a reaction... (I did learn and refused the same med on my second visit...)

Gabbie Adds: If you have the unfortunate problem of incontinence, nobody wants to deal with it...maybe because they have no real experience with your situation in relation to their planned set of activities that has no attention to bodily functions, except during the actual surgery. "Making accommodations" were terribly handled. I advise being prepared before you even consider going into surgery, by dealing with your sometimes embarrassing situation...right...up...front...

The Ugly

Gabbie Begins: Can there be an "Ugly" related to medical situations? In my opinion, yes, there can. The reason why I've been carefully sharing everything I experienced, not only because I was being zapped with God Incidents left and right, but also because I had experienced what occurred...first... IF YOU FEEL THAT YOU ARE BEING TREATED INCORRECTLY OR IN AN UNSATISFACTORY MANNER...FROM ANYBODY...WITHIN THE MEDICAL PROFESSION... YOU HAVE THE RIGHT, AND, IN MY OPINION, THE RESPONSIBILITY TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. The following is an open "Whistleblower" account of my first visit to gain help with for my hip, and, to some extent, knees. This is described in my own words, and to the best of my ability, to accurately portray what occurred.

By the way, I believe in whistleblowing...oftentimes, it can be done quietly, behind the scenes and with no no potential negative impact to the whistleblower. If we aren't willing to pinpoint really bad problem areas, then we should expect that bad behavior will not only grow, but spread!
a person who informs on a person or organization engaged in an illicit activity.

It had been my intention, at first, to check with a local orthopedics doctor to explore what my options were related to the deterioration of my hip. I was referred to a local doctor located near the Uniontown Hospital, which is now a part of West Virginia University. I was scheduled to meet with Dr.....

When I arrived, I was immediately shocked at the number of patients that were sitting, roaming around, and/or called in for their appointment. I pictured that I would have a long wait. Instead, almost immediately, I was shown into a small room and a young woman, who happened to be Black, helped me confirm why I was here...

Before I finished talking with her, a tall man, came up beside me to the left, and, literally, without any notice, jabbed a needle into my knee! Shocked, I turned around. He never introduced himself, so I assumed he was the doctor to whom I was to meet. He immediately stated that he knew I was going into Brain Surgery and that the only thing that could be done at that point, was to give me shots...He then proceeded to stick another "giant" needle into my other knee. It should be noted that, never, had I asked for shots. Indeed, although I was aware I had arthritis in both knees, they never really bothered me with much pain. 

Nevertheless, a judgment call was made, without any discussion with me, the patient, and shots were administered. To this day, I have not seen any significant difference in my knees, different from before those shots. 

Then he left, to talk to my niece, apparently deciding I was too old to be competent???! I asked my niece about what he discussed and she said it was general and not specific to anything. As I got up to leave, the woman who was helping me, thoughtfully asked about my having brain surgeon soon. She was cordial, intelligent in her words...and happened to be Black. I point this out because I, to this day, am now sure whether what the tall man then did was based on prejudice. When he saw me standing, ready to leave, and in discussion, he gave the Black woman, the dirtiest look I've ever seen. If he wasn't prejudice, then he certainly did not want to have her standing and sharing her blessings for my upcoming surgery. Obviously, he wanted her to have the next patient quickly moved in for his surprise shots...

After I was released from the brain surgeon's care, I scheduled another meeting at the same office, again, I was given the same doctor's name to see. It was not as heavily scheduled that day, but was still sufficient to make me think that I was in some type of medical mill that scheduled patients for in-out service, just like a fast food restaurant...or worse, a chicken meat packing facility... Seriously, I am not joking, that was my feeling.

On this visit, the same Black girl came in. She stood near the wall, without saying a word, and apparently was assigned to taking notes. Another woman, White, was very cordial, just as the other had been. She helped me to sit up on the exam table. Another man came in with an x-ray and placed it up for viewing.

During a, what I thought would be, a preliminary confirmation, of my reasons for the meeting, the White girl listened to everything, while the Black girl, I guess, typed things in notes. The White girl then left and I heard her repeat what I said to a man in the hallway. By the Way, I purposely am identifying individuals by race, or height...simply because I had NO idea to whom I was speaking...not their names, their titles...NOTHING. I was merely a number, NEXT, to be seen and moved on...

A shorter man came in...NOT the...tall man I had seen for my first visit...so I immediately surmised that again, I had NO idea who this man was. Nevertheless, he sat down and said...

"I understand you don't want to think about surgery until absolutely necessary... The thing is, I can't do anything for you. It's a Mess in There!" Yep, you guessed it, again I was shocked with the abruptness, the total lack of professional awareness that I was the patient, in theory, the boss... (even I laugh) because I really felt like that chicken being told, "Off with Your Head..."

But first, you'll be going for a physical exam to ensure you are able to have surgery. We have an arrangement with a doctor, pointing to a nearby building, where I would be sent... Immediately, I wondered, truthfully, how much of a kickback did they get??? Anyway, no discussion occurred related to that x-ray, even to clarify just how much of a "mess" it was... That guy immediately left... The man who had put the x-ray up was called in to help me down from the exam table...He was very courteous, as was all staff there.

I was immediately sent out and set up for scheduling, to precede my surgery. NOT ONCE, DID I AGREE THAT I WANTED TO PROCEED WITH SURGERY. AND, IN FACT, WAS NOT EVEN GIVEN THE COURTEOUS OF BEING ASKED...OR ANY DISCUSSION TO EXPLORE MY OPTIONS... 

Gabbie has to ask: Does anybody wonder why I called this the ugly?!

In any event, I left that office, and immediately called back and told the individual who answered the phone, that NO further actions were to be taken for me, until and unless I specifically called for it... I then went back to my primary care doctor and asked to be referred to WVU. 

I also, at that time, did a search for the doctor's name to whom I had been scheduled. He was definitely NOT either of the two men I had seen. Of course, it crossed my mind if they were even doctors, or residents...who knows... And they both were in and out so fast, that I could not even begin to describe them, except as tall and shorter...'Nuf Said. 

I also called and asked to talk with somebody, with a title that sounded like a manager of some sort. I got no response... However, I did get an announcement WEEKS LATER that so and so was gone--yeah, the guy who I supposedly was to talk to...as my surgeon? And was assured that they were prepared to continue to give me the same service, even though he wasn't there anymore...

Surely, they jested!

When I reached WVU, was immediately given a notebook, explored options, etc., I was so very amazed at the quality of care being given to me, as opposed to the in-out-thank-you-ma'am. actions of the first group, that I immediately felt, I had to speak out and share just how "ugly" the attitudes, the lack of personal respect for patients, and the overall lack of professionalism  I would expect when I was to meet with a surgeon, who would be cutting into me...

Thank you for allowing me to share...It's important that I allow people to know of my experience, so that, if and when they may be faced with a similar situation, they would get up, walk out, and stop any further involvement with such a group of supposed medical professionals.

Gabbie Says: I pray that none of you ever need to read a book like this one, unless you really need medical help... Then, of course, I recommend our local University Hospital, in Morgantown, WV.

God Bless,

Glenda





A Children's Doctor speaks about those injuries that cannot be healed by the hands of humans... That those injuries, really, should never have been placed on their young bodies--for one, who could not be identified because of the ruin of her face and body... only identified by her shoes...

Remember always: I can only see what the truth of reality is... Why are Senate Republicans stopping all actions that would help to lead to stop those who HATE, perhaps, even, incited by those who constantly speak The Big Lie..." For surely, more murders have occurred during the past months since the January 6th Insurrection.

I can only ask Why? Can you explain to yourself, you who are republicans, WHY? Because all of the majority of Americans are hurting because of YOUR HATE AND CONTINUAL LIES...

It is time to vote out all those who use guns for entertainment ...or... murder! We SEE that all you can speak of is hateful rhetoric about this or that that YOU do not like... In a democracy, you have that right...BUT YOU DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT TO FIGHT AGAINST THE RIGHTS AWARDED US IN THAT SAME CONSTITUTION...THOSE THAT PROVIDE THAT ALL MEN AND WOMEN BE TREATED EQUALLY... 

IT IS TIME FOR ALL WHO ARE TREATED LIKE WE ARE NOT YOUR EQUAL...TO SPEAK OUT... WE ARE EQUAL UNDER THE CONSTITUTION...

But, even more importantly, we were created equally by God, who cares not that he painted some of us black, red, yellow, green, maroon, purple... Get the Message... God created NON-Whites! He loves all of us equally. And White people, who believe in His Love, KNOW THIS!


1 comment:

  1. Informative, honest, personal, and writing that holds interest all the way through.

    ReplyDelete